Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Granular Permissions on a private team-managed project

Lisa Lee October 6, 2022

I am a Jira admin at my company and I'm pretty sure I request I had is not possible. 

Member of a private team-managed project wants the following. 

Any ticket that needs to be escalated (essentially moved) to their board from either our IT or HR project boards needs to be viewed by the requestor. They should also be able to tag other jira-users, and see issue details and comments on the issue. They cannot create tickets on the private project. Nor should they be able to view any other issues on this board. 

I don't see how this is possible. My only suggestion is a new project? Even if it's company-managed, I don't see the ability to create a role with permissions that fit their description. 

Would they need to create either a company-managed project or even a SD project?

I'd like to be sure before I say I can't do it!

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2022

Hi Lisa,

I think you've run into most of the bugbears I have about team-managed projects at the moment.  Atlassian have fixed a couple since next-gen appeared, but team-managed projects really are what the name suggests - for that one single team using them.  They are not for doing any form of collaboration (beyond people being able to see what a team has on their plate)

So I think you have hit on exactly the right answer with "My only suggestion is a new project?", when it is a company-managed one.

Your board definitions and usage, permissions to see issue data at either a project or issue level, and escalation can't be done with team-managed projects.

For a bit more detail:

>Any ticket that needs to be escalated (essentially moved) to their board

Issues don't move between boards, a board is a view, not a container.  But that's not a problem.  "Change an issue so that it stops appearing on board A, and starts to appear on board B" looks like a "move".  With a TMP, this can only happen when you move an issue to another project, but CMP boards can work off almost any data.

>needs to be viewed by the requestor. They should also be able to tag other jira-users, and see issue details and comments on the issue.

TMP permissions are quite wide - not quite "are you in the project", but not a lot more complex.

>They cannot create tickets on the private project. Nor should they be able to view any other issues on this board. 

All projects can support view and create/edit/other permission, but TMPs are open, they have no security beyond "can see".  CMPs can do issue security - you can set a field value that limits the visibility of an issue to specific people.

TLDR: You need to move to a Company-managed project here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events