Getting an after hours email notification for service desk

Danielle Mather February 4, 2019

Hello,

I'm setting up ServiceDesk and I am trying to configure hours and notifications. Here is the problem we have:

We would like to only get email notifications on issues that are created after hours (after 5pm). I'm not seeing this as an option. I see where I can set the notification for a created issue for a group but it doesn't show anywhere that these could only be sent after hours.

Any ideas or plugins that would allow this?

Thanks! Danielle

5 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2019

There isn’t a way to do this OOTB. You should check the Marketplace for possible add-on. While I have no experience with it I did find one called Smart Notifications that might work for you but unsure.

Dina Goncharenko February 4, 2019

I had a similar task. I used the Escalator for Jira add-on - https://ctiwi.com/escalator-for-jira/’

Our business logic has changed since then, so we are not needing this anymore, but this add-on was the best solution for that task.

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2019

I use an app called Automation For Jira. They provide an incredible tool that expands on the stock automation. You can try it out by using their free version but they do limit the amount of rules you can run a month. 

We use this app for several automations but one of them is an out of business hours. We have it running on a cron expression that starts after we close and ends as we open. Any tickets created in that time will have a comment left on them letting the customer know that their request was made out of business hours. 

Free version: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215670/automation-lite-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Paid version: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Like John McKiernan likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2019

Yep I use AFJ as well and it is a nice addon for sure.

Like Cody Stevens likes this
Jessie June 26, 2019

Hey Cody - can you please tell me how you set up that cron expression on Automation for Jira? I have been trying to do that exact thing.

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2019

Hey @Jessie 

I had to create two rules in AFJ to achieve the functionality.

In AFJ you can choose your trigger to be "Scheduled" and then set up a cron expression with JQL for it to run. In my case, I had it running every 5 minutes from 5pm to 7am the following day. 

The first rule was for the 5pm-12am times. the second rule was for the following day 12am-7am. they both did the same function but had different cron expressions. 

I am unable to show you the exact rule I made because I am no longer with that company but I made a similar version so you can see what it would look like. 

Here is a link to a site that will help you make the cron expressions. Also, the cron expressions are running off of UTC time so you need to account for that. 

https://www.freeformatter.com/cron-expression-generator-quartz.html

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 1.56.19 PM.png

Renee Aper October 9, 2020

In my case, we wanted to send a notification to a group if an issue came in between 6pm and 6am and it was flagged as critical (a custom field we created)

Using the following worked perfectly

Automation.png

Hope that helps someone - this thread got me on the right path, so wanted to share my solution.

Mark Vinicombe April 5, 2022

We did it in a very similar way.  I found using the JQL worked but I leveraged the SLAs.  I setup an afterhours calendar and set the time to resolution for the afterhours calendar to a value of 2 mins.  Then I can evaluate the SLA breach in automation.  Once you trigger the evaluation you can do whatever you want with the automation.  In our case we tag the issue as "afterhours" that allows us to do other automation with the ticket.  Using the calendars makes it easy for someone to edit the hours if they are unfamiliar with JQL or cron expressions. 

Like Natasha Richardson likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events