Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follow-up issue after initial ticket has been closed

Arturs Kalnins July 26, 2024

I'm currently on a JIRA Data center. 

We have a specific process in which we follow a rigid Step-after-step tickets (created by automation) 

I need to extend this that after the last ticket has been closed - a new one is created 1 month after that for follow-up data gathering.  How would one do that? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2024

Hi @Arturs Kalnins ,

It would help to see your current automation. Another question I have is how do we identify the "last" issue? Maybe you mean that after each ticket closes do you want a follow up ticket to be created? Finally, do you want the new ticket created exactly one month from when the "last" ticket was resolved? Do you want that to be on the first of the month or 30 days from closure or what exactly? Maybe rather than creating the issue one months later, you should create a new issue immediately after the other issue is resolved and simply set a due date or reminder for 30 days later. Just a thought.

Arturs Kalnins July 28, 2024

Hi @Jack Brickey 

Screenshot 2024-07-29 095426.png

As requested, the automation screenshot is attached. It's pretty basic as we have a specific process we follow however the last ticket created has a specific label attached to it and once the ticket with the specific label is set to done i need to start the countdown. 

The new ticket that instantly created would not work as it would be dangling on our board for month (maybe 2 months) 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2024

Hi @Arturs Kalnins , thanks for sharing the automation. Indeed, that is pretty straightforward and appears to be working for you. Now as I understand it when a certain issue is moved to done status then do you want to create a new issue 30 days from that point, correct? The rest of my input is based on that assumption.

First it is important to note that as of today you cannot schedule an automation from another automation. Now I'm not exactly sure why you want to delay, the creation of the issue. I am wondering if it would be possible to actually create the issue immediately when the other issue was moved to done and simply "hide" the issue until 30 days later. In your case, I don't know exactly what to propose in order to hide it, but let's put that aside for moment and assume that can be achieved.

If you had a rule that triggered when your specific issue is moved to done, then create a new issue and give it a label such as future-issue. You could have another rule that was scheduled to run daily with a JQL qualifier for open issues with the future-issue label. If the created date is equal to today's date -30 then you could make this issue visible. Again, I would I need to know more about your situation to understand if we could hide an issue and then later expose it. For example, let's say we want to hide it from your board. In this case, you could exclude any issues that had that label and then in you're scheduled automation, when it has reached that 30 day mark, you would remove that label. I hope this is making sense. If not, please let me know.

Arturs Kalnins August 5, 2024

the reason for this is to "follow up" on the data that we gather since we forget to do it. If we would have that ticket in the backlog for 30 days it does not help (as we currently create the ticket manually 30 days after the ticket is done) 

So i'm trying to automate the process and not search for it in backlog 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2024

My point was to creat the issue but exclude from your board until 30d later. You could do this as follows:

1. edit your board filter to exclude issues that have a label of "30d-later"
  2. when the specific issue transitioned to done trigger a rule which will create the new issue an add a label of "30d-later".
  3. create a second rule that is scheduled to run daily qualified by JQL "labels = "30d-later". Condition to check if the issues returned were created 30d previous. Action to remove the label which will result in the issue now appearing on the board 30d later.

i hope this makes sense. 

Arturs Kalnins August 5, 2024

i guess that works. thank you Jack

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events