Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Faster method for Completing multiple fields

Hi There,

I'm trying to find out if there is any method that I'm overlooking where I can quickly close solved tickets without having to meticulously click a series of required fields to then set the ticket to a state where it can actually be closed. I am having to click a minimum of 8-10 times on what are hundreds of already actioned tickets just to close them. Is there any way around this or a possible feature in the future where I can paste a template in a comment ie: <location: ---> <System/Service: ---> and it auto populates those fields? 

Hope you can help!

Cheers

Dave D

1 answer

1 vote

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

This sounds like you've got quite a complex process with people demanding fields be filled at certain points in the flow.  That's not a problem in itself, but it is a problem for your current exercise. 

To me, it sounds like you are trying to do some "housekeeping" - you've got a big pile of older issues that are in the wrong status, and need to be moved through their lifecycle so that they can be put into an accurate status.

Assuming that is the case, I would step back and do a bit of analysis.

• Identify what the 8-10 fields that have to be repeatedly filled are
  • Break down that list into the various values that have to be set
  • Get the list of issues that need the fields filled are
  • Cross reference that against the fields that need filled

What you're looking for is patterns you can use "bulk edit" on.

Let's say you've got a field called Colour, another called Soil-acidity and a couple of issue types that are flowers (pansy, snowdrop, hydrangea).

A search for "Colour is empty, and issuetype in (pansy, snowdrop, hydrangea)" will get you the list of issues to work with.

Cross reference that with rules for setting colour:

• Snowdrops are always white
  • Hydrangeas with acid soil are blue
  • Hydrangeas with neutral soil are purple
  • Hydrangeas with alkaline soil are pink

Now run a search for "issuetype = snowdrop and colour = empty", click bulk-edit in the top right tools menu.  Choose "edit" and then go find colour in the list of fields.  Set it to white and execute.

Next, run "issuetype = hydrangea and soil = acid and colour = empty", and do the same, selecting blue colour.

And so-on.

You might not be able to clean out everything doing that, but it can put a good dent in your need to click through everything.

Assuming that this is a "get things into the right status" exercise, you can use the same idea on the workflow (ideally after you've fixed as many fields as possible).

For example, search for "status = in-shop and colour is not empty", run the bulk-edit option and select "transition" instead of "edit".  Select the "we sold it" transition, and let it try to transition it.

The aim here is to minimise your clicking, not template something.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Coming Soon: Insight Changing to Assets

The 2020 acquisition of Mindville added powerful asset and configuration management capabilities to Jira Service Management in the form of Insight. Following the completion of that integration, custo...

435 views 3 13
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you