Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailed replies get added twice as comments

Jeremy Bowen July 20, 2020

When our users reply to comments in a ticket, the response gets added as a comment, twice.

The first time, just the email body is added and the comment is tagged with the "Reporter" label.

The second time happens up to 4 hours later and includes the entire email, including the email signature and is tagged as "Reporter" and "Internal"

I suspect some automation rule is possibly doubling up these replies but don't know where to start looking. I seem to recall seeing an option to strip linefeeds from email which might be a clue.

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2020

the "up to 4 hours later" is very suspicious. as is the fact that the content isn't getting stripped off. Jira by itself wouldnt have something that would act 4 hours later, and it doesnt hold the stripped off content anywhere.

I dont think that jira itself is doing anything. I think its more likely that something in your mail environmentis re-sending the mail to jira. Maybe someone has some of mailbox rule, or perhaps you are running into a server side email retry. 

Check the jira mail logs and see if you see the mail coming in twice.

Jeremy Bowen July 28, 2020

Where should I look for the log-file ?

Is this in /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/log....

Is there some way to configure the verbosity of these logs ? I can't see enough detail in there currently to allow me to diagnose this at present.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events