Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email request - cannot change to new issuetype

Simon Sahli July 5, 2021

Hey community,

I have created a new issuetype and I want to change that request via mail are connected to this new issuetype.
To achieve that I am in the Project settings in "Email request" and entering the "configure email request type" menu. There I want to select my new issue type, but it does not show up, so therefore I cannot select it.

What could be some reason that the new issuetype does not show up as an option here?

I have created the issuetypes some days ago, so it cannot be that this menu is not up to date.
Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards,
Simon

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021

Hey @Simon Sahli and welcome to the community!

You mention you created a new issue type, did you also create a new Request Type?

By default you map a Request type to the email handler and that Request type is linked to an issue type.

Be sure that the issue type only has mandatory fields for Summary and Description or that too will cause an issue (if there are more, since the mail handler can only map those 2 fields)

Simon Sahli July 5, 2021

Hey @Dirk Ronsmans , thank you very much!

I have created the request type with it.

Jep, then that is the source why the new request type is not displayed, since we have now more fields than only the summary and the description. 

So I guess then this means we need to create a default request type with only the summary and description field and then we get a new issue we reassign it manually to the right issuetype? Or what would you say is best practice here?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021

@Simon Sahli ,

well it can have more fields but not more mandatory fields, otherwies Jira has no idea what to do with it as they cannot be mapped and it cannot be created.

Simon Sahli July 5, 2021

I see, the thing is we want that our customers use these fields, like a severity field for example, to give us some more information and if we make them non-mandatory, then we are afraid that they won´t fill them in. 
As a quick solution, I made all fields except the two mentioned ones non-mandatory.

Anyhow, I think the question is also if it really makes much sense that we allow customers to create issues via mail or we rather force them to use the portal...
This is however not my decision, but I can now explain the situation better and we will need to make a decision.

Thanks again @Dirk Ronsmans , that was fast and really helpful. If this always going to be like that in this community, then going to work with the Atlassian products will be amazing. 

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2021

Happy to help :)

If you indeed require the customer to enter more information then directing them to the portal is the way to go.

Imho, the email solution is nice if they don't have access to the portal or if you have general easy questions that they can submit. I do see it often used as a transitional thing when your customers are used to just emailing.

A little note on an auto-reply informing them of the portal and telling them that it might be faster/easier to submit it there does wonders :)

Like Simon Sahli likes this
0 votes
Thomson Jones July 5, 2021

It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not that good.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events