Email replies are creating new tickets instead of adding as comments

Desislava Todorova April 15, 2020

Dear Support,

Replying to a Jira notified email creates a new ticket/issue in the system. This is very confusing and hard to consolidate comments from several tickets raised through email response.

We want anyone replying to a Jira notified email to have their comments append to the same ticket/issue and not a new one.

Today I created a new ticket (I'm the Reporter), then I have tried to add comment to this ticket through email response and the reply created a new ticket instead of adding as comment. Please advise how to stop this!

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

3 answers

0 votes
beacon.grayson January 4, 2022

This is happening in our instance as well, and seems to be limited to when the person is replying to an email in which they were copied on a reply to the system notification. The issue ID is in the subject, but they are not replying to the original system notification. The person replying has permission to comment, so that is not the issue.

0 votes
Shashi Matha September 10, 2020

Just read in another thread that if you set 'anyone' can add comments, then it will let anyone to add comments. But the question is whether you want to do that.

Julie Pitts February 16, 2021

Hi there, I'm having this same issue and found the other thread as well. However, there is no "anyone" option in my comments permissions. Please advise!

Julie Pitts February 16, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 4.21.06 PM.png

I found this "Public" but it gives me a big warning so I don't want to click it. I'm also trying to just add more users to the add comments permissions and hope that will help

Josh Mohan February 22, 2021

I am facing this same issue right now - where is this settings page located? I have been digging through the Jira and can't fin this page...

Priyanka March 8, 2021

@Josh Mohan The setting page is located under Project Settings-> Permissions 

Like Ramiro Malamud likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

Hi @Desislava Todorova , to be clear here the Community isn’t the same as Atlassian Support but we generally can assist with issues.

regarding your scenario, for sure if the reply is to a Jira notification email it should add a comment to the existing issue. Can you confirm that the issue key is in the subject of the email that is being replied to?

here is an article on how Jira works in this regard - how-jira-updates-issues-from-email 

Desislava Todorova April 15, 2020

Yes, the issue key was in the subject of the email

Like Trey Theiss likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events