Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Requests using multiple email addresses

Jason Harwood November 30, 2020

We have been using Jira Service Management for around 6 months and overall we are quite happy with the product. We have many external customers whom we onboard as customers, within Organisations in JSM. Each customer generally will have one or two representatives that we add as customers within an Organisation in JSM. So far, so good.

BUT... we now have one customer who is massive. They have hundreds of representatives who they would like each to have access to our JSM instance. They would like to raise issues via email only. ie. anyone from a given email domain, for example j.begood@bigcustomer.com would send an email. JSM would pick this up and raise a ticket from this email, assigning the issue to the Big Customer organisation within JSM.

The complexity lies in that we already allow customers to raise service desk tickets via email by emailing us at support@arkoselabs.atlassian.net 

So the question is in two parts:

1. Can we have a seperate support email for one specific customer to use in addition to the support@arkoselabs.atlassian.net?

2. Would we have to add each potential user (this could be hundreds of JSM licenses) into an org to enable this to work? @bigcustomer.com

As I type this out, this does not seem feasible. Can someone please validate that my suspicions are correct or point me in the right direction as to how to achieve this?

Cheers.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2020

Hi @Jason Harwood ,

From what I can gather you don't allow a user to sign up themselves but you add them manually as a customer to your project.

Maybe I'll start with question 2 as that is the simplest one :)

You would indeed have to add them all as customers since it seems like your project/portal is not just a public one where they can sign up themselves.

However that does not mean they will be consuming a license. A Customer has access to the portal or email without having a JSM license. Therefor you can add unlimited customers without adding hundreds of licenses.

Only Agents working on the tickets will consume a license.

Oh and you can easily add them all in bulk to the customers using a comma separated list.

customer1@bigcustomer.com, customer2@bigcustomer.com,...

For your first one I'm wondering why you would need a 2nd email address? You can simply use your current mailbox and create an automation that assigns the ticket automagically to the correct Organisation (I assume you mean a customer organisation here?).

The automation could be set up using a custom field of type "Domain of the reporter". That custom field would automatically set the value behind the @..  in that field. (so for you that would contain @bigcustomer.com). With that field then you can create an automation to set the Organisation field.

If you have another specific reason why you want to have a 2nd email address we can dive in to that :) (but technically yes you can have multiples, just need to set up a an additional mail handler on your system)

Jason Harwood December 1, 2020

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans

Appreciate your quick and helpful response.

Neat trick on the bulk add of customers :) 

The idea of the second email address was that this customer has that many people who could potentially log issues that it would virtually be unmanagable and the customer seems unwilling (or unable?) to provide a definitive list of users who would require access and then be able to update this regularly. Their request is quite lazy on their end and pushing the problem onto us to solve. ie. ANYONE who emails us from that email domain would simply just work.

And yes, I understand that this does not consume a JSM license. 

Thanks, this answers my question.

Jeremy Chen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 30, 2024

@Dirk Ronsmans 

I have a somewhat similar question regarding to having multiple email addresses linked to JSM. We currently have 3 support teams in different IT area, each with a different email address for their respective help desk. We are trying to centralize these 3 without disturbing existing customers. So we would like email request sent to team 1's support email account to be flown into JSM, but also email request sent to team 2 and 3's email accounts also to be flown into JSM. So I was wondering if you could expand on your previous answer of:

"If you have another specific reason why you want to have a 2nd email address we can dive in to that :) (but technically yes you can have multiples, just need to set up a an additional mail handler on your system)"

Additionally, is it possible that email requests coming from team 1 will flow into a specific status of a task? Likewise for team 2 and 3. For example, if an email is sent to lan@mycompany.com it will flow into JSM as a general request with "LAN-To Do" as request status. And if an email is sent to data@mycompnay.com it will flow into JSM as a general request with "data-To Do" as request status.

Hopefully this is feasible, looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events