Duplicate workflow step cannot be deleted

Claude Brown August 21, 2022

Hi,

Somehow we have managed to create a duplicate of a workflow step, with the duplicate completely unlinked from the workflow.  We cannot delete the duplicate.

See attached screenshots showing the duplicate (both in text and as a diagram), and also the error we receive when double-clicking on the workflow step.

Any assistance deleting this step would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Claude.

duplicate-workflow-step-text.pngduplicate-workflow-step-diagram.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2022

I think what you might want to try is download the workflow as xml (Export -> xml), then open it and remove the extra step manually, save it, and upload it back as a new workflow, and then replace your original with it.

The extra step will probably look like this:

<workflow>
<name>workflow name</name>
<actions>
<initial-actions>
</initial-actions>
<common-actions>
</common-actions>
</actions>
<steps>
<step id="31" name="Manual Creation Required">
</step>
</steps>

So you can just delete the whole step, look for the id and you'll see it.

Mind you when you try to re-upload the workflow, it might be trying to create new screens or create new custom fields, depending on how that workflow is customized. So you might want to further edit it again, this time in Jira, set back the old screens, and then delete the extra duplicates it created, to keep your system clean. It should give an overview list of what it is about to create - so just to note it down for some house cleaning afterward.

If the webUI won't let you modify it, then this is pretty much the only way as far as I can tell. As for how you managed to get a duplicate step in there - I don't recall ever seeing it before, so I don't think it's anything common, one of those mysteries I suppose.

Claude Brown August 23, 2022

Thanks Radek.  As it happens, we suspect an export/import created the problem.  But you suggestion is a good one.  We will try that at some point.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events