Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Slack Channels for different Jira customers

Mike Valderas August 11, 2020

Currently we have a Slack channel where we get alerts for a service desk requests from all of our customers.  Now that we have several customers using our service desk and submitting tickets, it would be nice to have multiple different Slack channels dedicated to each customer.  Then we would be able to manage and invite slack members to the appropriate channel rather than just having one channel where many requests come though

Example: Customer A submits a ticket, only #ServiceDesk_CustomerA slack channel gets a notification. 

Customer B submits a ticket, only #ServiceDesk_CustomerB slack channel gets a notification. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2020

You should be able to do this with Automation rule that you run on issue creation, as long as you have a field in the issue that identifies the customer.

Francis Peixoto January 19, 2023

Would there still be a way to have a dedicated support channel for a specific context/organization (ex: Customer pays for dedicated support, all others share support staff, but all issues are housed in a single SM project)

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

Yes, you could use Assist for that, which is the integration to Slack, and then add customers that have the dedicated support to a specific channel that is linked to the project. Have a look at Receive and manage requests in Slack or Microsoft Teams for more information. 

Like Francis Peixoto likes this
0 votes
Mike Valderas August 11, 2020

Ok, I think I'm following.  What field type would you recommend? 

I don't want a dropdown list of customers.  I wouldn't want customers to see every organization that uses our service desk. 

Apologies as I don't possess a very technical background..

Thx,

Mike

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2020

One option would be to use JQL condition to figure out which Slack channel the notification should be sent to, that way you do not have to have a field on issue that identify the organization. Your query would look something like this:

organizations = "Customer A"

Then just build up the rule with if/else blocks for each organization. Note that you would have to enable share requests in order for the JQL to work. Have a look at Jira Service Desk: Customers Organizations vs. Atlassian Cloud Organizations for more information.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events