Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customers get email notifications about internal comments

Konrad Kuźma February 19, 2019

Hello community, after few hours I finally gave up and need some help with this issue.

My problem is when I'm using my call center to raise ticket on behalf of clients. When clients create ticket themselves via email they get short email with thank you note and get notified about external comments, which is fine.

On the other hand, when service desk worker creates an issue via JIRA and selects client as a reporter, the client gets email notifications with all the details of raised ticket,  ie who created issue, issue type, priority, and also they get email notifications about internal comments.

What is wrong with my permissions? How should I register issues raised via call center so customers are notified same way as via email?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Patrick S
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2019

@Konrad Kuźma ,

We fought this issue a few years ago, even going the route of considering using "Raise a Request" and then go back into the application to maintain the ticket (which as noted, is a pain).

The TL;DR is that we created a user picker field, put it on the ticket creation screen, and when it gets filled out we override the Reporter field with a script. This allows our agents to live in the JIRA application view, rather than having to go back and forth with the customer portal.

Here's how to do it using JIRA ScriptRunner.

1. Create a Custom User Picker field, we called ours POC for reference.
    1. In the Description of the custom field, highlight it with some HTML because we can't actually require the field in the transition without breaking the customer's ability to make tickets in the portal.
      1. <font color="red"><b>Required. If this is not filled out, YOU will be set as the reporter, not the customer you want.</b></font>
  2. Put that user picker field on your ticket creation screen.
  3. Go to your workflow, and add a Custom script post-function to the post functions of your issue created transition.
  4. Is this script in your function. If you choose to name your field something other than POC, then change this accordingly.
    1. import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
      import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager
      import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
      import com.atlassian.jira.issue.ModifiedValue
      import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.DefaultIssueChangeHolder
      import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

/********************************************************
      Beginning of POC --> Reporter override

********************************************************/

/* Look up the customer user-picker field "POC". Set them to be the reporter. */
      def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
      def cfPOC = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(issue).find {it.name == "POC"}
      def POC = issue.getCustomFieldValue(cfPOC)

log.debug("issue: " + issue)
      log.debug("POC: " + POC)

/* Override the Reporter */
      if(POC) {
      /*
      If the POC is not empty, set issue.Reporter to be the POC. This way the Service Desk agent can effectively override the Reporter field
      on ticket creation. Note that the Reporter field is not presented on the ticket creation form in this workflow.
      */
      log.debug "POC Found"
      issue.setReporter(POC)
      }
      else{
      /*
      When an issue is created in the customer portal, the POC check will fail, but that's ok because the end goal is to populate the reporter anyway.
      The customer portal will place the actual customer in the Reporter field by default.
      */
      }

log.debug("reporter: " + issue.getReporter())

log.debug "Done looking for POC"
1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2019

Are your agents using the “raise a request” in the sidebar which directs them to the portal view where they select the reporter by editing the “raise the request on behalf of”? If not and they are simply using the application to open the ticket please try the alternate.

Konrad Kuźma February 20, 2019

Thank you for your response, you are right: they are using application to open tickets, however if they do it via "raise a request" they can't assign tickets, set priority and so on, which is not available on client portal.

If I understand correctly, I can add those fields to be available on "raise a request", but in the same time they will be visible to clients on portal?

I'm having a hard time trying to solve this.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2019

Correct. You can either add the fields to the portal and customers would see as well or have the agents update the tickets within the app once created.

Konrad Kuźma February 28, 2019

Ok, I had to take some time to think about it and test it, it works fine when using "Raise a request" button.

This is a game-changer for me, should I assume that Jira is not really compatible with callcenters? Forcing technicians to use client portal to raise requests just to not to break notifications seems riddiculous, there's got to be another way :(

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2019

i haven't played w/ this in awhile TBH as I don't have the need but try this....

if the agent creates w/in the application they should immediately change the reporter/creator from themselves to the customer. they use the Notification Helper to see what the results are.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events