Customer Service Desk Projects

Michael Dear January 27, 2021

Hi All,

New to Jira and I was wondering how others would recommend setting up the external customer-facing projects.

For example, let's say I have 5 customers across similar but not the same product types, is it best to break them out into 5 projects for all their service needs?

Looking to understand how and when to break out into different projects.

Thanks

Mike

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

i think it depends on more info to be honest. Note there are quite a few discussions in the Community this already so you might wish to search and get more input.

With that said here is a basic guideline I live by. If your agents are going to be the same AND the types of requests (Request types) are largely the same then I generally go with a single project. Having a single project is much more manageable from both an Agent and admin perspective. You can use Organizations feature to keep customers separate (can't see each others issues). If however, the agents will be different or the request types will be very different then maybe multiple projects. Think about the services that you are providing the customers. Will these be the same, e.g. IT services for all customers or will the services be different, e.g. customer 1 = IT, customer 2 = HR, customer 3 = software product support.

Thanks for the info.

Agents will be the same across product types. It is an evolved product that serves the same industry (Tobacco). What I have learnt is that Organisations can be split, which is nice to know.

I think it is heading down the one projects route.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

Hey @Michael Dear ,

How would you define the different product types? It is really completely different requests or does some of the data inside the request differ?

If just some of the data is different you might use something like a CMDB (Insight) to populate some of the data based on the reporter.

It would save you the annoyance of having to manage 5 projects.

They're similar products across the same industry, evolved with time and are now very different from a software perspective, but a similar outcome.

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2021

Hi @Michael Dear 

It's better to go with different projects if you have different product types.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Thank you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS