Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Permissions on Portal

Charlie Ruble June 2, 2021

I am trying to figure out the best way to handle customer request both through email and the portal.  I have restricted access to only my domain , but I want users to not have to log into the portal to submit a request. I will load what I know as our customer into projects, but when someone that not in our preloaded customer base submits an incident I want them to be added to our customer list.

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2021

Hi @Charlie Ruble 

Having a non-customer log an incident doesn't seem to make much sense, especially if you want to gather as much information as possible (users who email in don't behave how one who runs a support desk thinks they should). Email can be a headache to manage.

Also requested logged via email have less control (less automation) than requests logged via the Customer Portal. You have more control over those requests. For example, you can automate priority, define labels, set up a path for the user to follow through the customer portal. Basically, you can steer a user to a request via the request and issue type menu. You can't do that with a user raising a request via email. 

If you add email addresses to the customer section in Jira Service Management then you will be inviting them to use the customer portal and they will be prompted to create a username and password, so that next time they will log into the customer portal. 

Why don't you want users to log requests or incidents via the customer portal? The customer portal is what makes the solution 100 times better than email. 

Regards,

Mike

Charlie Ruble June 2, 2021

Mike Thanks for the response. I agree but management want to except emails,s o I am stuck there.  I am trying to get our Gsuite admins to grant access to Gsuite so I can sync users, I believe that is my best path forward. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events