Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Issue Type limit in JSM v8.16.1 on Data Centre instance

Scott Bourne June 15, 2021

Hi all, long time researcher first time question asker. 

Is there a limit on the number of custom issue types a single project may contain?

While JSM comes with the default issue types of Incident, Problem, Change, Service Request and so on I have created quite a few custom issue types for our customers and I'd like to know if the amount the project can take is limited before I commit to them how many I'm able to supply them. 

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks Community.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2021

@Scott Bourne -

Hi Scott:

There is no limitation on the issue types for Jira/JSM projects.  The only thing that you need to consider is the usage of the issue types.  When creating custom issue types, always determine to see if existing issue types can be used first, and only creating them if it absolutely necessary.  

It comes down to more issue types will result in more management overhead for your admins and project admins on the usage of them. 

Based on my experience - Less is More.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Scott Bourne June 20, 2021

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin 

Really appreciate your reply and information thank you.

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2021

Hi @Scott Bourne , 

Welcome  :) 

So about the that limitation I have not heard. 

At least on my one of instance used 29 issue types, 52 customer types in one project. Unfortunately, that's legacy which inherited to me. I am doing clean up, because it's bad practice of creating ticket.

Shortly, no limitation. 

Long answer, please, do a balance. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events