Creating Sub-Tasks based on Approval process

Kevin Barbar January 22, 2020

I want to create a set of sub-tasks when a service request approval transition occurs.

For example, when a form is filled out in JSD, it then gets sent to our HR department for approval. In this case, if the request is Approved we would like this to trigger a set of sub-tasks to begin work, if the request is Declined then we would like to see the issue get resolved and closed with none of the sub-tasks created.

We are currently using Automation for JIRA (Cloud version) to create these sub-tasks. I need some help in trying to get this implemented.

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2020

Kevin ,

So if I understand you correctly, you want to trigger a rule when the approval is completed? 

I assume that after the approval is complete, the issue is transitioned to a new status as per documentation

You could use an issue transitioned trigger in Automation for Jira and create the Sub-Tasks. ( Check the Create Sub-Task rule  to achieve the use-case) 

Cheers

Kevin Barbar January 28, 2020

Ajay,

That worked out exactly as I expected thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Another thing we're trying to accomplish with this is to add in a More Info Needed step, but I think the way that we're going to approach it is to add a status in the workflow as More Info.

So once the form is initially filled out, it will then go into a Waiting for Approval status with the next statuses available being Approval, Declined, More Info needed.

Just thinking aloud here. I'll report back here with the results to see if this may end up being beneficial to anyone else in the future.

Like Jess McGreevy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events