Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create user without email address

Jim Stewart January 5, 2021

Is the only way (in Jira Software or JSM) to create a user to invite them? I just want to create a Test User with no corresponding email address. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2021

Can't you just use a dummy address? something like email@email.com

Of course that makes it impossible to test any functionality regarding notifications but if your goal is to leave that empty anyways I don't see where the problem is. Certainly not a road blocker ;)

I could. But I am not the IT guy and have to go through hoops to have them create a functioning email address for me. So I was hoping to eliminate (at least for now) that step. If you're telling me that no, I must have a working email address associated with each user so be it. 

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2021

No, I'm not saying that.

I'm saying that to register a user you need to provide an email but I've never said WORKING email.

You could ask your IT guy to use whatever text you fancy the most :)

imagen_2021-01-05_174834.png

Like Anna Merintsova likes this

Ok. But since the only way to add a user is by invitation, then that invitation has to go to a working email. Am I missing something? 

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2021

When you (or the IT guy) create a new user you dont necessarily have to send him an invitation.

You coud ask you IT guy to create a test user with a dummy account and just have him send you the user/pass of that test user to your real emal.

Like Anna Merintsova likes this

Right,  ok. Thanks. 

Like Iago Docando likes this
Dieter Guthmann April 4, 2022

Sorry, but in my opinion that's not really a solution:

If your 'Test user' gets (possibly accidentally) an eMail notification, it is sent out over your mailservers, and because it's an external address (@email.com) it's sent to a MX server somewhere in Pennsylvania...

So I hope you not have any confidential information within your jira instance, which is now sent unencrypted over the internet.

If anything, I would recommend something like noreply@yourcompanysdomain.com, but that's also a poor workaround.

Like # people like this
David Atkins January 25, 2024

I am not understanding this. I am the jira administrator. We are on JIRA cloud. I need to create a jira login for a service account that our security department wants. The only way to create a user in Jira cloud is to invite them. So after I put in some non-functional email address...what then? How do I create the login credentials for this new user?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events