Copy specific field

Diana Beldiman April 21, 2021

Hello :) 

I am trying to clone an issue from a Service Desk project to another project but I want to keep the initial requester name in the description field. Could I do that with an automated rule? 

I am stuck here, when transitioning to another project. 

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

@Diana Beldiman -

In regards to cloning issue in Jira (I am pretty sure that it is the same way with JSM project), this operation can only be done within the same project.  You cannot clone issue from project a into project b.

Maybe Atlassian Support Team can confirm it.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Diana Beldiman April 21, 2021

@Joseph Chung Yin 

I follow the next steps to clone an issue into another project, let me know if I am mistaken or not:

I press on create link issue then the second picture appears and modify the project I want. Here I'd like to somehow keep the initial requester name. 

a.PNGb.PNG

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 22, 2021

It seems that you're creating a new issue that is linked to the original issue, but not a clone of the original issue.

"Is cloned by" just names the link, which forwards you to the original ticket. It doesn't copy any issue fields to the new story.

If you want to clone an issue and move it to another project, you could try our Marketplace app Deep Clone for Jira

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

@Diana Beldiman -

Just as mentioned by @Marlene Kegel - codefortynine , you are not cloning the issue but are creating a new Linked Issue.  

Out of the box - The only thing I can recommend you is that you can try to use the "CLONE" built in function to create the cloned issue, then use the built-in "MOVE" function to move it to another project.  However, the cloning process will clone everything (i.e. custom fields, reporter etc...) from the source issue into the new cloned issue. There is no custom function out of the box to capture the "Reporter" information into the new cloned issue's Description field.

Secondly, when you move the issue to the new project, the actual reporter will have to be a person that also have access to your new project + all the custom fields used in the source issues will also need to be available in your new project.  Otherwise, issue's metadata will be lost.

Best, Joseph

Diana Beldiman April 23, 2021

@Marlene Kegel - codefortynine 

I have already tried that, thank you for your answer!

@Joseph Chung Yin 

I was under the impression that I can clone also from "+ Create linked issue", I was just modifying the created issue field with "cloned" or "is cloned by". 

I'm gonna try your recommendation, it seems close to what I needed.

Thank you for your support! :) 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2021

@Diana Beldiman -

Let me of your result.  Hope it will work for you.  If it did, kindly accept my answer.

Good luck.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events