cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing Service Desk customer notifications

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

We have a Service Desk project set up (using one of the old templates from before the rebranding.) The customer notification options are all toggled on. Some of our customers are telling us they're not receiving notifications.

image.png

When someone submits a ticket to an org I'm part of, I get a notification, but the messaging (the non-custom part) is confusing. The message says "Click view request and select Get Updates to follow along", but there's also a link in the message to "turn off this request's notifications".

image (1).png

The first one seems to indicate that notifications are opt-in, but the second part indicates that it's opt-out. Actually clicking through to the ticket indicates that notifications are Off. (When it's a ticket I submitted the ticket shows that notifications are On.) 

image (2).png

All of this is very confusing. Why would notifications be off on a ticket when our customer notification options are all toggled on? Why would the initial notification give conflicting info about whether a user will receive notifications or not?

The ideal is that all notifications are ON, and customers will receive ALL notifications of tickets created and shared with their organization. Opt-out should be the rule.

Have we mis-configured something, or is this a bug?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2021

Hi @Esther Strom

for me this topic is quite new but I am happy helping to figure things out - so beg my pardon if this here is more of a 'is this the same you are seeing?' than a pin-pointed answer.

Esther:
Why would the initial notification give conflicting info about whether a user will receive notifications or not?

For the misleading text there seems to be a Bug opened with Atlassian:

1.) Could you please confirm if this is the same what you are seeing?

--------

Esther:
Why would notifications be off on a ticket when our customer notification options are all toggled on?

I understood it in a way from the customer portal an organization has been added. In such case an e-mail goes out (the one in your screenshot) and the user must actively subscribe to any further updates.

Angélica discussed this with a Community member in August 2020 as follows:

Angélica:
By default, they don't receive the "Issue created" notification, they only receive the "Organization added", and if they want to receive future updates, they must go to the ticket and click to receive notifications.

2.) Could you please confirm if this is the same behaviour you are seeing from your Jira Service Management?

--------

Esther:
The ideal is that all notifications are ON, and customers will receive ALL notifications of tickets created and shared with their organization. Opt-out should be the rule.

I am not 100% sure about this one.

From global configuration of Service Management there is one setting which promises to automatically share email requests with the customer's organization.
However, I am unsure about the mail flow in this case (which notification is sent) and unsure if this will default the notification to 'subscribed' (instead of 'the customers in the organization *can* subscribe if they want to').

grafik.png

3.) This leads me to the question: is this the setting you have currently or did you select "No, don't share mail requests..."?

--------

Something else that comes to my mind (probably unrelated) was a case of a Community member where a customer spam-antiprotection system clicked on every "unsubscribe" link in incoming mail it could find.
That seems to have caused that the protection unsubscribed from all mail coming from Jira Service Management on their end also, crazy!

--------

Please do let us know if I missed something or if something does not match what you are seeing -- or if I simply got you wrong :)

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Mark Harding June 25, 2021

Have you checked the Notifications static content to make sure it is not offering this conflicting advice?

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2021

When looking at the Organization Added customer notification, this is the setup - it's the default message generated by service desk; we have not customized it in any way. 

So yes, the "Static" content IS offering the conflicting advice, but it's content Atlassian created, so it seems like the fact that it's conflicting is either a bug (someone at Atlassian worded this very poorly) or our configuration is missing something that would make the advice not conflict with itself.

2021-06-25 10_34_04-Online_App_Call Center Service Desk - Customer notifications - Service project -.png

Mark Harding June 28, 2021

But you can change that text, right, to make it something more meaningful to the end user,.. not ideal but you can at least resolve your problem.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events