Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration access rights to Knowledge Base

lukasz.mytnik June 18, 2021

Hi,

I'm trying to find an answer to how properly configure access to Knowledge Base on Confluence via JIRA Service Management Portal.

Based on the article https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/manage-knowledge-base-permissions-from-your-service-project/ I have a feeling that it is possible but still I have difficulties with configuration.

My scenario is the following

1. Both instances (JIRA & Confluence) are hosted on my servers so Server version.

2. Confluence has no Anonymus access, it is switched off on a global level, which means we would like to give access to the Confluence only to licenced users (direct access to Confluence).

3. There should be access to Knowledge Base on mentioned above Confluence via JIRA Service Management Portal.

Is it possible at all?

If yes what should be the configuration on JIRA & Confluence side?

I guess the following:

- it looks like Restricted (on the JIRA side): All logged-in users of your service project can view the articles in this space, without a Confluence license.

- what access rights on Confluence? (no Anonymus access on a global level is obligatory for my configuration)

1 answer

0 votes
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

Hello @lukasz.mytnik 

To achieve this you would need to allow global anonymous access, when you are accessing through JSM it's the same as accessing confluence directly.

Here is a great step-by-step how to achieve this if you decide to do so, it says Confluence Cloud but it applies to server and data center platforms also. 

For detail step by step check

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-give-non-confluence-users-access-to-a-space-779166002.html 

Step 1.

Modify the Space Permissions for a space to allow Anonymous access

• In Confluence, click on the cog icon on the top right handside of the menu bar and select General Configuration
  • In the menu on the left of the screen, scroll down and click on Space Permissions under the USERS & SECURITY heading
  • Scroll down until you get to the Individual Spaces heading and then look for the space you want to allow Anonymous Users to access
  • Click the Manage Permissions link forthe space
  • Scroll down the page to Anonymous Access and click on the 'Edit Permissions' button
  • To give Anonymous users the option to view pages in the space but not modify, create or comment on them, check the box under All View for the Anonymous row

Step 2.

Turn on Anonymous access globally for Confluence

• In Confluence, click on the cog icon on the top right-hand side of the menu bar and select General Configuration
  • In the menu on the left of the screen, scroll down and click on Global Permissions under the USERS & SECURITY heading
  • Click on the 'Edit Permissions' button at the top of the page, and then scroll down the page until you reach Anonymous Access
  • Check the box in line with Anonymous under the heading Use Confluence

From Atlassian documentation.

BR, Olga

Hi, @Olga Videc 

thanks for your feedback, but are you really sure about that?

To be honest, if it works in such a way I do not understand from the business point of view the purpose of Restricted permission from the article mentioned by me.

It is restricted from JSM but available without limitations directly from Confluence, very strange.

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

Okay just a sec, you want to allow only licensed confluence users to be able to view KB from JSM? 

I would like to allow access to KB via JSM to everyone who has an account on JSM, but KB shouldn't be available for anonymous users directly in confluence (for logged in is ok but not for anonymous).

expected flow: logged-in user to JSM but without confluence licence -> JSM -> knowledge base from the confluence

not allowed: anonymous user-> knowledge base directly from the confluence

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events