Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud Migration with existing Cloud Products - Best Practice

Hannes November 15, 2021

Hey everybody!

We have a setting that Atlassian migration doesn't cover in my opinion, so I hope you can help here.

Currently we are using Jira Server and have some projects to migrate (Service Desk and Software) to Cloud. But: In Cloud there are existing projects already in use.

For this reason, Site Export/Import is not an opinion as we would delete the existing projects.

The only way I see at the moment is the Cloud Migration Tool. We do not like the missing Metadata (like Filters, Reports and so on), but we can come to terms with it. But: Our Server Instance is used by really a lot of users. We can not stop the Jira usage, so there's a strong need to continue working seamlessly in the cloud. For this reason we need to do a lot of end-user testing in the Cloud. So we need to do a realistic Test Migration with a really big set of issues.

As the migration tool does not allow to do updates to a Cloud project, we can not do this test migrations as the Key will not be usable for the final Go-Live. It's not an option to rename the Server Projects as there are a lot of dependencies. So what can we do in this scenario?

Best,

Hannes

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2021

Hi @Hannes,

Just spin up an additional test cloud site and activate the products and plans that you use in your current cloud site. You get a trial license for 30 days. Backup and restore your current cloud site into that test site. And then migrate from your server environment into that test site.

Hope this helps! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events