Clarification on Automation for Jira Service Management (Standard)

Dylan Hebb April 28, 2021

Hello, 

Soon, my team will be moving from service desk server to Jira service management cloud (standard). I am trying to understand/clarify the functionality we may or may not lose with automation.

We currently use the "project automation" advanced rules that are not as limiting as the out-of-the-box automation in jira server. 

My question is: When we move, do we have unlimited advanced "project automation" functionality (pictured below), as long as the rules are one project-specific? I know that with standard, you only get 500 executions of cross-project and global rules, but do we have the advance configuration (pictured below) for unlimited executions for individual service management projects?

The reason I ask is because the automation I thought we were going to have (and thus losing functionality) was the "Legacy automation" pictured below

Automation for Jira Service Management Standard.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2021

Hi  @Dylan Hebb ,

When moving from server to cloud this is indeed something to think about.

Like you said you have a limited number of multi project automation per month (dependent on your plan and tier) but as you also mention if the rule is single project, then there is no limit.

Single project means that you can never go outside of the project scope. So not just trigger also the automation. If you for example trigger in project A that creates something in project B that will be considered multi project.

Also keep in mind that there are some limits to the rules themselves: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/what-are-service-limits/

Right now the automation you'll have on cloud is both the Legacy automation, aka the old one that is also by default in Server, and then you'll have the Automation (which is called "Project Automation" on server if you install the app)

Legacy automation will vanish in the future. (no date known yet)

0 votes
Dylan Hebb April 28, 2021

Thank you very much @Dirk Ronsmans

I was worried that when we moved, we would be limited to the legacy automation. Glad to know that's not the case as that automation is quite limiting. 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2021

No indeed, guess you're lucky that Atlassian acquired Codebarrel (the company that created the Automation app) and they are now offering it by default in their cloud offfers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events