Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing default translation does nothing

Johan Törnblom December 15, 2020

I'm setting up a Service Desk project. I've added swedish translations and set swedish as the default language, as shown in the image below. 

image.pngHowever when I open the portal to customize it, lo and behold - the default language is set as english. image.pngI've tried opening the portal in incognito mode, assuming it might be a language setting in my user account - same thing, still english is default.

My default browser language is swedish.

Please advice, am I doing something obviously wrong?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2020

Hello Johan,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When changing the default language of the portal, customers will only see the portal in Swedish if they change the language on their profile in the portal or if English is deleted/disabled.

Customers can see the project default language if:

• you haven't added their preferred language
  • their preferred language is disabled

Also, when accessing the portal without logging in, it will show the portal based on the system default language (Cog icon > System > General configuration > Default language). So, if your site is in English it will override the browser's language. This is a known bug, for more details, please check the link below:

There is a feature request suggesting improvement for the login page as well. If the customer selected Swedish and the browser is also in Swedish, but the system language of the site in English, they will still see the login page in English:

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Johan Törnblom December 15, 2020

Hi Angélica!,
Thank you for responding!

My use case involves mainly non-logged-in users. I was hoping that there would be a way for them to select their desired portal language.

Just to confirm, the way this is supposed to work is that the portal displays the language of the user's browser if available, otherwise go with the default? And the reason it is not working is the bug you linked.

Thank you for your assistance!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2020

The main page will be based on the system language, but the portals (projects) will be based on the default language if English is not visible. 

In the example below, I added Portuguese as the default language of the project and made English not visible to customers. Doing that, it shows correctly in Portuguese even if my browser is set to English.

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 10.45.20.png

If all your customers prefer Swedish, you can disable English on Language support. They will view the main portal in English, but the projects, request types and forms will show in Swedish even if they are not logged in.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events