Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add a field to a request type

mabaddeley March 29, 2019

I have a field in my JIRA Service Desk project called "Service", it is a single-value drop down.   I have added the field to the Create screen for the "Service Request with Approvals" issue type, but when I try to add fields to a request type that is based on that issue type, the "Service" field is not displayed.   According to the help tip on that screen, all I have to do is update the create screen associated with the issue type.  What am I missing?

Here are the steps I followed:

1.  When I try to add a field to a request type, I'm told to add the field to the issue type by editing the create screen:

image.png

2. I navigate to the create screen for the associated issue type:

image.png

3. I add the "Service" field to the create screen:

image.png

Everything looks OK, except the "Service" field is still not available on the UI in step 1. 

2 answers

2 votes
Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2019

Hi matt

Did u check the custom field configuration?(custom fiel tab.at the right side of ur favorite custom field in cog choose configure) u can choose the custome fiel field show in which project/projects and issue type/issue types.

Cheers

Glenda Ramos January 21, 2021

This answered it for me. It took me a while to find the correct answer. So what I did was go to Issues>Custom fields and checked the custom field I created. Under Screens and contexts column, I clicked the link for the context. It opens the Contexts tab of a pop-up window. From there, the issue types associated with the field were displayed. I then click Create, edit or delete contexts. On the page, I clicked Edit context button and on the next page, under Choose applicable issue types, I chose the issue type I need it to be associated and clicked the Modify button at the bottom. That was it! 

I hope this helps others. :)

0 votes
Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2019

Hi Matt

Maybe in field configuration that u use for this project (Service desk) hide "service" field. if u are sure about adding the field to create screen of "Service Request with Approvals" issue type and again sure about request type that is based on that issue type.

Cheers

mabaddeley April 1, 2019

Hi Ashkan - I can't make the field hidden because I cannot add it to the issue type.   I added the steps and screenshots to my original post above. 

Johannes February 25, 2020

Hi @mabaddeley ,

did you find a solution for this?

I have the same situation and can't figure out what the cause is.

Cheers.

Like Noah Hofmann likes this
Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2020

Hii @Johannes  @mabaddeley 

If u can't add your favorite custom field to your request type, maybe cause of:

1- check your custom field configuration that the field added to your favorite project and your favorite issue type 

2- If #1 passed and the problem is there, you should check the screen of your favorite issue type that use for the request type 

3- At last you should check the #1 and #2

- I think your problem from the field configuration (#1) (at the upright side of your screen click on the cog and then issues and then at left sid click on custom filed in front of your favorite custom field choose configuration)

I hope it helps you

Like Johannes likes this
Johannes February 26, 2020

Hi @Ashkan Malekly 

for me it was actually the context of the custom field configuration.

So I was able to add it to a screen but not to the request type.

Thanks.

Like Kishan Sharma likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events