Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Change User Password because there is no Option 'Set Password'

Jeff Bailey July 9, 2021

The documentation says "Administrators can change user passwords directly in Jira when using the internal directory. A password cannot be changed if users are managed from an LDAP server or Crowd instance.

1. Select  User Management.
  2. Find the user in the user list using the filter form at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the username.
  4. Choose Actions >Set Password.

But there is no option 'Set Password'.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

Please share a link to the documentation where you see this. It may be all documentation but if it does exist I would like to refer it to Atlassian so they can correct it. What you can do under user management is go into the details for that user select… And prompt them to reset their password.

Now if this is a customer you would go under user management and then Jira service management. In this scenario you can change the password for the customer.

Jeff Bailey July 9, 2021

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the quick reply. Here is the link - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/create-edit-or-remove-a-user-938847025.html

The steps in question are under the section 'Change a password'.

Jeff

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

That doc is for “Server” and you appear to be on Cloud. Were my previous instructions helpful or do you still have a question at this point?

Jeff Bailey July 9, 2021

Oh, I did not realize that they were for Server. That explains it. Thanks for clarifying that.

I still have a question. When I click ..., I only see 3 options: Edit user groups, View project roles, and Delete user. I don't see an option to prompt them to reset their password.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

Please share a screenshot 

Jeff Bailey July 9, 2021

password.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

My goal was to get a better idea of what screen you’re actually looking at. Unfortunately with that highly cropped image I really am unsure where you’re at. Maybe you could just give me a URL link of where you’re at. Obviously cutting out your domain name.

on the other hand here is where I see change password…

1. click ⚙️ icon and select User management 
  2. select the user and click on Show details
  3. Click on ellipses and I see Prompt reset password 
Jeff Bailey July 9, 2021
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

This appears to be a permissions thing I believe. I think you are in the “trusted” role not site administration 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

What does the “edit” link offer?

Jeff Bailey July 9, 2021

Edit > Edit user profile:
Username
Full name
Email

When I select my username > Applications and groups, under Group name jira-administrators, it shows ADMIN.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

Hmmmm, maybe a limitation of Free version then.

i can view details and therein I see this ….

37BB76D4-1C7A-43D9-A3D5-97C5A2CB484D.jpeg

Like Jeff Bailey likes this
Jeff Bailey July 9, 2021

Maybe. I thought that it might be something that I was doing wrong, so I appreciate all of the time that you spent troubleshooting this for me.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events