Can we capture customer location when they are raising tickets on customer portal

Mayur Gaikwad_Tech PMO January 7, 2023

I have a team who needs to capture location and append it to the raised ticket through customer portal (Jira Service Management). Do we have any option with which this can be achieved?

3 answers

3 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2023

Hi @Mayur Gaikwad_Tech PMO

Welcome to the community!

The easiest is to ask them right out with a location customfield.  

Another option is to use jira automation and you can use the smart values for the reporters timezone and add it to a customfield. Link: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-users/

The other option is to create a insight/assets customer database where you keep a database of your customers and then add attributes such as location, phone, etc.  Then once again with automation you can fetch those object's attributes.

I hope this helps.

Mayur Gaikwad_Tech PMO January 8, 2023

Hi @Fabian Lim 

This helps. As an initial step, we too wanted to keep a field wherein customers are explicitly asked about their location which can then be captured. 

But, we also plan to roll this out to our sales team as well who want to track finances and this option would not work. 

Don't we have any plugin that helps auto detection of location which then it can be captured.

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2023

@Mayur Gaikwad_Tech PMO 

Hi Mayur:

I agreed with what @Fabian Lim suggested.  In this case, we used the easiest route by asking customers to fill out his/her location information during their issue submissions in the request type form.

What we did was creating a custom field (i.e. Country - Single select dropdown list with our custom set of options context) and added the field to the JSM project.  We further added this field in the different request type forms as needed + made the field mandatory for issue creation.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Mayur Gaikwad_Tech PMO January 8, 2023

Thank you @Joseph Chung Yin for providing further insights but this option won't work for our sales team. I'm looking out for a plugin / service that auto detects location to capture.

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2023

Hi @Mayur Gaikwad_Tech PMO 

How would you identify the user's location?

You'd need to use parameters available to you within their Atlassian ecosystem I assume? Or are these tickets being generated from another external system?

---

There's options here in relation to timezones - for example, using a custom field / automation rule...

• Custom Field: Location (single-line text field)
  • Automation Rule: 
    • Trigger: Issue Created
    • Action: Edit Issue
      • Location = {{creator.timeZone}}

...and this should display the user's Time Zone settings, based on their Atlassian profile settings (although you should test this, it isn't something I've built/tested globally before).

This output should be <Country>, <City>, or <Continent>, <City> - but there's no guarantee it's the actual user's location, just what is set in their profile.

---

You could use the data in the "Location" field above to clarify location to a degree - for example...

• Some countries are listed prior to the City
  • Others list the continent (eg. Europe) - but using the City, you could clarify the Country
  • ...etc

---

Let us know what you think!

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS