Can we attach software installers to issues?

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2021

I am an msp owner and use service management for my clients. There are times I am on boarding new clients and wanted to know if I would be able to push software like an msi installer has an attachment to an issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

You could attach msi files to issues and ask users to download them, but this is

• Inefficient (you'll be duplicating the same file over and over, pointlessly)
  • Potentially flaky (Jira is not built to be a large file store, you may find the uploads or downloads are slow or even fail if the msi files are large)
  • Hard to maintain (when a new version of an msi is released, you'd probably want to go back and replace the file attached to every issue its been attached to before to stop people grabbing older versions)

A far better approach would be to hold a single msi in a file store, one that serves up a link for "current version" and link each issue to that - minimal maintenance, single file, reliable delivery.

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2021

Yeah this is what I thought. I wanted to double check to make sure if it was even possible. I thought if I had new clients I could just included the msi during the Jira ticket interaction to have them load the msi from there. I use a general msi for a policy to deploy. I thought it would be easier to do it from the ticket but I guess I could just put the link to a file store in the ticket also. Thanks for the help.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events