Can we assign different priority names to different projects using Translate priorities?

Shashi Matha September 4, 2020

We are trying to change the names of priorities from Highest, High...etc to Critical, Major...etc. I can see we can achieve this using Translate priorities. 

However, this is changing not only Jira Service Desk project but all other internal dev JIRA projects.

How can we make this change only to JSD specific projects? We tried to see if there scheme for priority field but it looks like it is unavailable.

Hope there is someone who has done this without using marketplace add-ons.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2020

@Shashi Matha - hi Shashi! Unfortunately, translating priorities impacts those values across your entire Jira instance.

Workaround: If you want project-specific Priority values, consider creating a "Importance" custom field, and have project contexts for each set of values you want. (Jira lets you create your own "Priority" field but since you can't get rid of the system one, any JQL queries will refer to the field by its ID, which isn't the most user-friendly.) 

I would also vote on JRACLOUD-3821 so Atlassian hopefully implements priority schemes in Jira Cloud.

Shashi Matha July 27, 2022

Thanks! Looks like this is not getting done even after two years. 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2022

😞 

Like Dylan Kogut likes this
Dylan Kogut August 2, 2022

@Dave Liao Is there a reason that Jira is so reluctant to implement this? 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2022

@Dylan Kogut - I'm sure Atlassian has a complex formula to figure out what's actually worth working on.

It probably looks like this: https://xkcd.com/1205/

(thanks to my coworker for sharing that with me this week!)

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2020

Hi @Shashi Matha 

Translations are language-based, rather than project-based.

So for example, if the priority is set to Critical for Spanish, it will show as Critical in all projects if you also change your user account's language to Spanish.

Priority Schemes aren't available in Cloud - see JRACLOUD-3821 to vote/follow this suggestion.

Without an app, your options are limited - this is how I'd do it:

• Custom Field: Use a custom field - such as a Select List (single choice). Having a custom priority field will allow you to have custom options per project using Custom Field Contexts
  • Automation: This is an extension of the Custom Field option, if you want different users to see different wording. Still create the custom field, but set the values based on the Priority field. So for example if "Highest" is chosen in the Priority field, have an automation rule which automatically sets the custom field to "Critical".

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events