Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can customer replies to the email notifications just add comments to the ticket?

Justin Curry December 29, 2020

It appears that when a service desk customer replies to an email notification on an issue ticket, it creates a whole new ticket versus just creating a comment on the ticket like it does when an agent replies.  Am I missing some configuration setting?

Please help.

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2020

Hi Justin, welcome to the Community. Well there is a bit of black magic (IMO) surrounding this. The key is that the reply needs to have the issuekey in the subject, at least generally, though I have witnessed an exception to this rule. Now, you mention that replies to Jira notifications are creating new issues. This really should not happen unless somehow the issuekey isn’t in the notification. Can you inspect the specific scenario and provide more details? 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2020

@Justin Curry -

I agreed with @Jack Brickey

You should see if you still have the email that the JSD customer used in his/her reply to conduct further analysis.

In general, when a user replies on the notification email, it will not create new ticket in JSD.

Hopefully, you can provide more details for us to look at.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSD Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
Justin Curry January 4, 2021

Thank you for your replies.  I dug into this and we are creating comments now.  I believe you are correct in that some of the tickets that we converted from JIRA over to Service Desk didn't have the ticket number in the subject line!  

Appreciate your support!

Justin Curry, Balfour

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2021

Hello @Justin Curry , I am in the same case as you for a customer.

We are using an external plug in in order to handle email in Jira in order to have more advance parsing content possibilities.

We have external customers who send email to a support email adress which then create a ticket in Jira Service desk of type Service Request.

External customer does not get access to the Service Desk portal and only create ticket via email. Then when ticket is created their email adress became the reporter.

Then Agent enter some comments in the ticket and reporter should get notified.

How did you configure the notitication in order that the Subject contains the ticket ID and customer can reply to the notification in order the the answer gets added to ticket comment ?

thanks for clarification

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events