Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a linked issue in jsm stop an issue from being marked done?

Ronnie Jennings September 12, 2022

I'm trying to link two issues.

What I'm looking for is the proper way to have one issue depend on the other. I want it to depend on each other in the fact that for example if you have issue with 123 and issue 321 I would want issue 123 to stop issue 321 from being marked down. Kind of it was block from going to the next transition.  Is there a way to do that?

2 answers

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

@Ronnie Jennings -

Welcome to the community.  Yes, you will need to customize your project's WF associated with the issue type that your request type is based on by adding a Validator setup, so it can prevent the issue from being CLOSED if its linked issues are not resolved.  This can be done (with minimum coding required) if you have the following add-ons which I highly recommend -

Scriptrunner for Jira by Adaptavist 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

or 

JWME by Appfires

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/292/jira-misc-workflow-extensions-jmwe?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
Dwight Holman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2022

Depending on your situation (and the actual relationship between the two issues), the approach described in the link below might be applicable:

How to prevent issues from being closed while the sub-tasks are still open in Jira 

This prevents an issue being closed when sub-tasks are still open, and would not require a 3rd party app.

A variation of the approach described by @Joseph Chung Yin.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events