Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a customer create a request on behalf of another customer?

David Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2018
Is it possible to configure a Service Desk Project in cloud to enable customers to create requests on behalf of others? Thanks for any ideas!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2018

While a customer can’t open on behalf of another customer they can add as participant so they would see updates.

1 vote
Sue Lund
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2021

Try this workaround:

We created a custom field called "Affected User" and added it to the forms.   Support is trained to look at that field and not the reporter field.

We also added automation that automatically shares the ticket with the Affected User to make sure they get the notifications and can monitor the ticket in the portal.

Steve Priole May 27, 2021

That's certainly an option, however, I would really like to figure out how to make "Reporter" work so that running reports and looking at metrics based on users opening tickets will be consistent.  We've been running for a while and reports would be mixed between "reporter" and "affected user" fields

Synngul June 21, 2021

Hi @Sue Lund could you post your automation rule please? I'm interested. How can you make a "share ticket" rule?

Sue Lund
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2021

@Synngul 
We setup the custom field and then added it, as a required field, on all of the forms we created.

When: Value changes for (select your custom field)
If:  Compare two values

{{issue.reporter.name}} does not equal {{issue.customfield_####.value}} 
   (you'll have to find your custom field ID)

Action:  Edit issue fields 

Choose "Request participants" as the field to set
   Add (select the custom field you made) from Current issue

We threw a "re-fetch" action in there, too, because it wasn't working without it, for some reason.

It's been working for us , with no issues, for 2 months.

Share with Affected User.JPG

I hope this is helpful.

Like Whitni Smith likes this
Whitni Smith October 5, 2022

I used this method to set the reporter, instead of request participants and it worked and bypassed needing to give everyone a JSM license.  

I set it up as follows, and it didn't require the re-fetch of data and still ran. 

servicenow automation rule.PNG

0 votes
Steve Priole May 26, 2021
0 votes
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2018

Yes, you can create an issue on behalf of the other users as long as the user is part of the organization on the service desk.

onbehalf.PNG

David Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2018

Hi Bryan,

how did you achieve this? I can't manage to set it up so that customers can create requests on behalf of others, even when being part of their organization.

Thanks

Carol Jones November 27, 2018

I was also under the impression that only agents could create issues on behalf of other users.  Would be very interested if there was a way around this!

Like # people like this
David Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2018

My scenario is having a 1rst level support front answering the telephone and opening requests on behalf of customers calling in. They wouldn't necessarily need access to Jira. 

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2018

Yeah, you're probably right @Carol Jones, I haven't take into account of me being the agent, it was my bad.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2018

correct. The portal does have the open on behalf of if you are an agent but the option is not presented if you are a customer.

Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2019

@Jack Brickey  how dept name can appear of the customer?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events