Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I stop "Issue updated" emails from being sent when the issue was updated by a certain user? (API

Hershelk July 8, 2021

In JSM we have some custom fields that are auto populated by webhooks based on some info our agents put in the ticket

For example:
Organization (JSM Default)
Field 1 (Custom field)
Field 2 (Custom field)

When the Organization field changes, it triggers a webhook,= that then populates Field 1 and 2.

This works really well for us, and saves a lot of time. however, every time the fields are populated, all associated parties get an email that the issue was updated.

Any way I can set our API user to never trigger an email? 

2 answers

0 votes
Markus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2021

Hey,

Yeah this can be done.

1. Disable the system notification

2. Rebuild the notification in automation for Jira to send an email when the events that trigger an issue update occur.

3. Place whatever condition you require in this automation rules to limit it.

Cheers,

Mark

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2021

@Hershelk -

Welcome to the community.  If you are referring to the system notifications, then you can configure the notification scheme used against your project for the "Issue Updated" event to prevent notification to be sent.  (Project settings > Notification)

In general, event notification is associated to the issue and not take into account of the user who triggered the issue updates.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hershelk July 8, 2021

Thank you Joseph Chung Yin.

We still want to be notified by manual changes made by agents. 

Any ideas on a workaround? Maybe we can limit notifications when certain fields are updated? 

In this case, and update to field 1 or 2 should not trigger a notification? 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2021

An update to a field is an issue update event, so one cannot limit the notification based on field updates.

The only logical thing I can think of is via custom API setup, where you programmatically switch your project's notification to a different scheme where no notification is sent out for ISSUE UPDATE event when your backend process kicked off and update the fields, then after the updates are completed, then switch the original notification scheme back.  However, during your process executing time, other normal update event notification in the system against your project will also be affected.

I have ever try it via REST APIs on switching notification scheme against project.

BTW, my name is Joseph Chung Yin and not Jose.

Best, Joseph

Hershelk July 8, 2021

Hi Joseph Chung Yin.

Thank you for that Idea :) 

Also, for some reason, when I tried using @Joseph Chung Yin it kept auto-correcting to Jose, but somehow its working now.
I edited my previous comment.

Thanks again.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events