• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I share Jira service desk license among my group?

We have started to use Jira Service Desk (cloud), I wanted to check if I can assign one Jira service desk license among a group of the employee using the tool. Will it create a compliance issue? Is it feasible and advisable to do so? 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

If I understand the terms of usage, then no, this is not something you could do, each user should have their own account and hence licence.

Would doing this cause you problems - yes, probably.  There's some interesting side effects of trying to have a shared Atlassian account if you are using those for access.  And if this account had any form of write access to your Jira, then yes, you have an instant Compliance failure because you don't know who made a change.  (Equally, another one even with read-only is that you simply don't know who is reading your stuff either)

In short, don't do it.  It will come back to bite you

Thanks Nic for the quick response. This helps. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Community Leader Sep 23, 2020

i certainly would not recommend.

technically you could create one user and tell everyone the password. You would want to read the terms of service to see if that would violate the T&Cs. Moreover, by doing so you would not have any way to know for sure which team member took any action or made any comment. 

Thanks, Jack for your quick response and suggestion. I have recommended the same to my leadership team as well. But they want to know - will it create a compliance issue if we assign a group of people to single license, i.e. share the license. I went through the terms and services but couldn't find anything around this point, are you aware if it will  create a compliance issue in such scenario?

Jack Community Leader Sep 23, 2020

i think Nic's answer captures my views on the compliance implications.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

241 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you