Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I reference a look up table when new records are being created

Steven Lees-Smith December 19, 2021

Hi there,

In the coming months we are moving from a hosted ITSM solution not an Atlassian product (SQL Backend) to Jira Service Management and I am starting to try and figure out if we can achieve some of the things we do now.

For instance, when we onboard people we record their department (for example: Lighting).  In the system we have a lookup table for each department, there is a value for all the major items a person needs for their department.  The machine type, the monitor types, software licenses etc etc

In the newstarter table there are custom fields which just writes a the number of those items needed next to the values.  Basically I can build an expression from the new starter fields to the look up table to determine what the value per department per new starter is.

For Lighting

Spec B128 - 1

27" Monitor - 1

27" Dreamcolour - 1

Nuke - 1

Mari - .5

Now we do this for all our starters so it builds up a view of all the hardware we need and software licenses for whatever reporting period in the future we want to see.  So I can see 2 weeks in advance how many Spec B128 or Spec A96 are needed, how many licenses of Nuke, Office, Houdini etc etc

With Jira being cloud based I am not sure what we are going to be able to build in the cloud when it comes to something like lookup tables, retrieving data to be used in other tables upon incident creation.  I leverage this a lot in our current system and would like to know how things like this can be achieved in JSM Cloud.

Thanks.

2 answers

2 votes

ok taking another tact, is there ways to export subsets of data out of JSM Cloud that I can then leverage in Power BI.  I could have the lookup in Power BI and then with the JSM data come up with the predictive view in a visualisation.   
Can there be scheduled exports from JSM?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2021

Not directly, you would need to extract data via the REST API, you have no access to the database.

Exports are possible, but not as a push.  A human has to click the "backup and download all the data", or run a filter and hit "export to CSV".  The REST API is a pull, you can ask it to run a filter and give you a JSON representation of all the issues you find.

There is also a "data lake" option on the way, it's in Early Access at the moment, with a number of people testing it.

what does the data lake option do.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021
Like Steven Lees-Smith likes this
Steven Lees-Smith December 20, 2021

oh that sounds really really helpful.  

Will keep an eye out for when that is available for a sign up again, that is promising.

Steven Lees-Smith January 3, 2022

hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  is there somewhere to get more detailed info about Data Lake.  I sent an email to the EAP email address from that link you quoted but the email bounced.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2022

The Early access trial closed a while ago, so they shut down the email. 

I don't have any guess as to when it'll be released to the wider audience.  But you've posted the question on the conversation, which is the best place for it!  I'll see if I can get Atlassian to give us more on the back of that question!

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2021

Directly, no, you have no access to the database behind Jira in the Cloud.

Most of what you need here sounds like asset-management though, for which Jira has the Insight app!  I would start with a look at that!

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying I can use insight to predict hardware and software usage based on a value in an onboarding ticket?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2021

Not directly, it won't do that sort of reporting (yet), but the asset tracking data it holds are what you would use to generate that sort of report.  Plain Jira would not really be suitable, because it is an issue tracker, not an asset tracker, and the data wouldn't be the right shape.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events