Can I make it so Jira Service desk approvers only see their assigned approval and nothing else?

Sydney Lufsey May 14, 2020

We are using Jira service desk for our client/customer to create support requests/tickets.  However, the support requests need to be approved by more senior people in the client's organization. Our team would like to make it so the support requests get sent to the client approver via email notification so they just look at the request ticket and click approve or disapprove. We do not want the approver to have access to Jira service desk on the back end, just the front end, and approving the tickets. Is there a way to do that? 

I know we would have to add the client to our Jira service desk project as approvers but is there a way to do so they do not see anything on the back-end of Jira. We just want the client approvers to see the ticket that they are assigned to approve and the customer interface request portal. 

Additionally, is there a way to automate approvers based on who is placing the request. For example, if John Doe places a support request in the Jira service desk portal is there a way to automatically assign Jane Doe as the approver every time John Doe places a support request?

1 answer

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2020

Hello Sydney,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

On Jira Service Desk, customers can also be approvers. With that said, you can add the senior people as customers and not licensed agents, so as they won't have a license, they won't be able to access Jira internally (agent view or back end), they will only be able to access the customer portal.

Also, since they won't have a license, they will only be able to access the customer portal and see tickets were they are approvers or if someone shares the ticket with them by adding them as participants.

I see that you are a site administrator, so you can go to Administration or User management and remove the Seniors from the group jira-servicedesk-users or from all groups. Then, confirm if they were added to the role "Service Desk Customers" (if it's a classic project) or if they are listed to the customers' page (if it's a next-gen).

Regarding the automation, you can create one to add specific approvers. It will be something like the example below:

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 14.32.45.png

On the example, I only added one customer, but you can change to reporter in (customerA, customerB, customerC), and so on.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Dawn Fama October 19, 2020

We have several organizations for our JSD project.

We have the user submitting the request in same organization as the approvers in their organization so the issue can be shared with the organization members.

However, I'm still not sure how the person submitting the request would be not be considered an approver if they are in the same organization.

Not sure how to do automation logic to allow people in the organization approve but not if they match the reporter.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events