Can I edit customers, and search by organisation?

Inspired Earth October 12, 2020

This is perhaps two questions in one.

1) The issue I have is I can't search for customers (such as when opening a ticket on their behalf, and I need to select which customer it is for) by the organisation / company name. It seems I can only by their name or email. In many cases I don't always know the name or email address of a customer. But I always know the company name, so would like to be able to search by this field. Is that possible?

2) I assumed it Jira might not be letting me search by customer organisation because perhaps their customer record doesn't have that information set on it. I wanted to view, and hopefully edit, each customer, and see if it's possible to add the organisation to their details. (I already have their record associated with their organisation in the Customers database, but the search system doesn't recognise that).

When I try to "View profile" of a Customer, Jira goes to an error page, stating:

- - - - - 

Looks like we’re off the beaten track

We landed here for a user that does not exist.
Head back to the directory to search for another user.

Button:: [Back to directory] (links to https://oursitename.atlassian.net/jira/people/search

- - - - - 

So, in short, my two related questions are:

1) How can I search for customer's by their organisation name?

2) How can I edit a customer's data?

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 answer

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2020

Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When using Service Desk, agents have permission to search all customers and it's not possible to restrict the search to show only customers from a specific organization.

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:

The People's page where you are being redirected when clicking on the customer's name is related to a bug. 

A workaround for that is to add a tag on their name with the name of the organization, like the example below.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 16.46.47.png

Customers' accounts are local, so if you change it on your site it won't affect their real full name on other sites. 

Go to Cog icon > User management > Jira Service Desk and change the full name.

Besides that, currently, there is no other option to easily check the organization of the customer. 

Regards,
Angélica

Inspired Earth October 14, 2020

Hi Angélica,

Thanks for the response.

Regarding your first point ...
It's not that I wish to restrict the search to only show customers from a specific organisation. Instead, I want to be able to search by typing in the organisation name. I expected putting in the org name would show me the customers from that organisation, since they are members of it. But the search system does not appear to take "organisation name" into its search data.

By my way of thinking, this seems like an odd restriction on the search data.

Regarding your second point ...
I was not trying to view the customer via a ticket, although I've tested that and I see it's the same bug. What I was doing is clicking on "Customers" in the Project dashboard, then clicking on an organisational unit (into which I've sorted the customers), and then when the mouse hovers over a customer a profile summary box pops-up, and on there is a link to "View Profile", and when I click on that, it goes to the error page I mentioned.

I have added the Organisation "Tag" to their user name, which now allows me to search for customers using the Organisation name. Thank you for that suggestion.

I would suggest Atlassian expand the customer search dataset to include the organisation details. That would make sense to me.

Regards,

Jonathan

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events