Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I create status dependencies between sub-tasks?

Hello everyone.

Following an issue creation, a few sub-tasks will be generated through an automation.

I need to establish status dependencies between a group of sub-tasks (f.e. Sequence 1) and a second group of sub-tasks (f.e. Sequence 2).

A user should be able to change the first status (To Do) of sub-tasks belonging to Sequence 2 just in case all of the sub-tasks belonging to Sequence 1 are Done.

I tried out a few solutions (including Worflow condition settings, automation exc.) with no positive results.

Do you have any suggestion?

1 answer

0 votes

Hello @Cristian Iorio,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Thank you for sharing the details.

Currently, it’s possible to block the transition of the parent issue when sub-tasks are still open, but not to block the transition of a sub-task depending on another one.

We can try to find a workaround here, so I would like to know more details about your use case. 

You mentioned that there are groups of sub-tasks, what field are you using to differentiate both groups?

Is there any other solution that you tried like an add-on, for example?

Kind regards,
Angélica

Good evening, Angélica.

First, I would like to thank you for the kind support.

Actually, there are no explicit differences between the two sub-task categories. 

With my teammates, we thought about implementing a 'support' field, to be used as a boolean, to define whether or not an issue can advance through different statuses. This solution, however, seemed to us to be intricated because we would have to act massively on a certain issue type (or, even more profoundly, create a new issue type for sub-tasks of the second category).

Do you have any suggestion about this?

Thanks for your attention.

Kind regards,

Cristian.

Hello Cristian,

Thank you for the details.

We found an option that may help you and it’s necessary to use workflow conditions and automation.

In this case, it will be necessary to use automation to create the sub-tasks as you already do, but then create the group of sub-tasks based on transitions.

For example: When the issue is created, automation creates 3 sub-tasks. Then, to transition the parent ticket to the next status, all 3 sub-tasks must be done. 

Then, when the ticket is transitioned, from To Do to In Progress, automation creates the other group of sub-tasks, and so on, to transition to In Progress to Closed, the sub-tasks must be Done.

Here is the test I made on my site.

On Project settings > Workflows, I edited the workflow that is linked to the issue type “Service Requests”. Then, I added a condition on the “In progress” transition. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 17.42.46.png

The condition is called “Sub-Task Blocking Condition”. When adding this condition, on the next screen it’s necessary to select the status that the sub-task must be in order to be able to transition the parent.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 17.44.29.png

Add the conditions to all necessary transitions and then click on “Publish draft” and save a copy of the workflow.

Now, it’s time to create the automation rules.

On Project settings > Automation > Automation, in my case here, the first rule will create sub-tasks when the ticket is created. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 17.47.07.png

Then I created a second rule to create another sub-task when the ticket is transitioned from “Waiting for support” to “In progress”.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 17.48.22.png

The results:

I created a ticket with the issue type “Service request” and 3 sub-tasks were created and we can see that it’s not possible to transition the parent issue to “In progress”:

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 17.58.50.png

Once the 3 sub-tasks were closed, the transition appeared:

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 17.59.37.png

After transitioning, the new sub-task was created:

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 18.00.04.png

This is a simple example of what can be done. Since it’s not possible to have groups of sub-tasks or block to transition sub-tasks based on another one, maybe would be a good solution to create sub-tasks based on the status of the main ticket, so if the “group” of sub-tasks are done, transition the main ticket and the new group of sub-tasks are created and the agents can work on that and they will only be able to move to the new status if the sub-tasks are closed.

Hope this helps!

If there is anything else we can do to help or if you have any questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Atlympic Event: Jira Service Managemnt

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

119 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you