Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create a Parent Issue from the workflow of Subtask workflow.

Carlos Alvarado August 2, 2022

Hello,

I am trying to use scriptrunner to create a Parent Issue Type from a Subtask issue workflow, and link the issues. Is this a possibility, or can only Parent Issue Workflows create other Parent Issue ticket?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Sub-tasks cannot exist without a parent, so there's actually nowhere to put such a thing.  You can't execute a transition on an issue that does not exist.

Carlos Alvarado August 3, 2022

Hi Nic, thanks for the reply. I think I may have provided a confusing question above.

Currently I have a workflow built for Parent issue A-1, and once it have been transitioned to "In Progress", A-1 creates subtask B-1. Therefore, subtask B-1 is existing within Parent A-1.

What I would like to do is create a new Parent Issue A-2, but only when subtask B-1 has been resolved. And I would like to link Parent Issue A-2 to subtask B-1.

Is it possible to create a new parent issue A-2 from subtask B-1s completion? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2022

Ok, so it's not really a "parent" you're trying to create.

You can set up an automation that creates a new issue when any issue goes through a specific transition, and set a link on the new issue back to the "trigger" issue while you do it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events