Can I change the "from" address on Workflow Transition Notification emails?

Daryl McDaniel January 5, 2021

When posting comments for "Respond to Customer" or "Respond to Support" workflow transitions and email is being sent, but it is received as if it were sent by a staff member that is on an extended leave. It is very confusing for our customers, seeing a name of someone that is supposed to be on leave.

I have been asked to change the FROM address that is in the emails being received. It currently looks like "John Doe (jira) <jira@company.org>", we only want to change the "John Doe" to someone else. These are the "John Doe changed an issue from Waiting for customer to Waiting for support" automated notifications.

I have been unable to find any way to change this. I am guessing that the address is the one associated with the Org Admin, which is the person that is on leave. I am the Site Admin.

I did find the System Settings for Email From, which is set to "${fullname} (Jira)", and I found Project, Summary, Notifications where I can change the Notification Scheme (we are using Default) and Email, but this is only the "<jira@company.org>" portion. Also, in our Workflow "Respond to customer" transition, the Post Functions ends in "Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.", but I cannot find any way of configuring the Generic Event.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

Hi @Daryl McDaniel

there use to be two separate Automation mechanism out there.
Automation vs. Legacy Automation

Have you checked if there is an automation in place which is driven by "Legacy Automation"?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-is-legacy-automation/

Please check and let us know what you have found out.

Cheers,
Daniel

Daryl McDaniel January 6, 2021

Ahhh, there it is. I did see in the settings how to change who it is run by. That fixed it, thank you very much.

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

@Daryl McDaniel, I'd check your automation rules for your Service Desk project. What is likely happening is that you have an automation rule executing these transitions. If your Org admin was the one that set up the project, the rules are likely running as that user. I'd change the actor of that rule to an automation user.

Thanks,

Kian

Daryl McDaniel January 5, 2021

Thanks for the suggestion, but checking that (Project Settings, Automation), I found that there are no rules set up on our system at all.

Most likely when our Org Admin set things up it was with default settings/configurations as they didn't have much previous JIRA experience and/or training.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events