Calculating the MTTR in Jira.

Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima June 28, 2021

Great day.
Does anyone know if there is a way to calculate the MTTR and other calculations directly by Jira, for free? I've been searching for free apps from Atlassian's marketplace, but I haven't found anything. Does anyone know about this? I saw that there is already a question like this on the link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/How-to-calculate-MTTR-in-JIRA/qaq-p/860342#U1734714 but that was it years ago and no one else responded.

Thanks for listening.

5 answers

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

@Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima 

Hi there:

In our environment (Jira/JSM Data Center), we use ScriptRunner for Jira to create scripted field to calculate MTTR, and it works perfectly.  However it is a fee based add-on.  You can read more about it - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

In my opinion, this add-on is a must have for any Jira/JSM installation.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I believe the company I work for will not pay, but thank you anyway.

0 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 26, 2021

Hi @Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima 

Have you tried "Time to resolution" report? You can read more here:

How does Service Management "Time to resolution" report works

Also, there is a built-in Average Time in Status gadget which you may try.

No alt text provided for this image

0 votes
Emre Toptancı [OBSS]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 26, 2021

Hello @Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima ,

Our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud, and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee. You can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Resolution Time, Cycle Time, or Lead Time

Presuming that an issue is created when a failure occurs and it is resolved when the system recovers, you can create a column that contains the statuses between failure and recovery and see MTTR.

You can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. (For example, see the total InProgress time per Epic or average Resolution Time per issue type). 

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example, see average InProgress time per project and per issue type.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX, or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
July 21, 2021

Hi @Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima ,

It is not possible with the built-in JQL functionalities. For that specific reason, we developed Status Time app. It provides reports on how much time passed in each status. You can group statuses to get "resolution time" and take average resolution time by month.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports by any field(eg. average in progress time by project, average cycle time by issue creation month). And all these are available as gadgets on the dashboard too.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free. Hope it helps.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

Nothing has really changed in this regard since that article was written to the best of my knowledge. What you have at your disposal is related to the gadgets in the dashboard. So I would inspect those and see if you can get them to meet your needs.

Ok, thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events