Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practise on automation when creating issue's

Jeroen Gouma December 14, 2022

Currently thinking about how to handle the automation when creating new issue's in JSM.

We receive somewhere between 500 and 750 new issues per day, mostly via email and about 10-20% via rest API.

On the majority of the newly created issue's some automation needs to be done (filling fields based on reporter, assigning to specific worklflow, linking,  etc.).

Currently I see 2 approches:

1. Create 1 big automation rule which executes on every new issue and has several branches which are executed based on specifc values.
  2. Createmore then 20 small automation rules (one for each variant) and have them all executed on creation of a new issue.

What is the best practise (and why)? 1 big automation rule or more then 20 rules which are all executed every time an issue is created? Or maybe a combination?

Please share your thoughts about this.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2022

I would lean towards a single monolithic automation, sort of.

The reason for this is that automations may not run exactly when you think they will, and you may find some of your automation has dependencies on earlier ones (by the way, you "set the workflow" by selecting the issue type, not with an automation)

I would also recommend doing as much as possible in post-functions on the "create issue" transition in the workflow, which are simpler than automations, and will run before the automation (so if you can set a field, or assign it in there, your automation has less to do)

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2022

Hi Jeroen,

I agree with Nic - I prefer a single rule in most cases. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events