Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice - offboarding Jira Service Management Customers. Delete or Revoke?

Jeff Wynne March 1, 2021

Our Jira Service Management project is an internal Service Desk. I want to understand what the best-practice is when we are offboarding staff who have left the business. Should we a) Delete the account or b) Revoke the access?

I understand Delete is removing the account but will all tickets stay in the system for record/reporting purposes? If so Delete sounds good. I would assume Revoke is only going to be if there is a chance we need to re-enable the person in the future. 

If I delete can I add the same e-mail address again in the future? (albeit without the new account having access to the old account's history.)

1.png

Thanks for any clarity you can give me on this.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi @Jeff Wynne ,

i feel like revoke is the best option here.

Delete will really remove the account so 99% sure the history will also be gone. Haven't had a need to re-invite someone that created a new account on an "old" email but since internally they have a long account id (like a guid) I fear the new account might have another one.

Going by this article some information is retained but they will show as "Former User" if you delete them.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/deactivate-or-delete-managed-accounts/

Like the articles says, start with revoke to be safe, you can always delete later on:)

Jeff Wynne March 1, 2021

Thank you @Dirk Ronsmans - very helpful. I think just based on the screenshot in that article which shows the 'former user' replacement text, it's going to make sense to go with Revoke rather than Delete. I will want the reporter name along with the issue itself for historical records. 

Thanks again! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events