Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation rule not working as expected in some cases

Carolin Jonietz September 7, 2023

Hello all, 

when it's the customers turn to comment in a ticket, we change the status to one with the status category "done", so it disappears from our filters. When the customer writes a comment, the ticket status should change back to "Open", so we know it's our turn to work on the issue again. I have an automation rule set up for this: 

07-09-_2023_14-07-04.png

This automation rule works fine. In order to avoid that our own comments open the tickets back up again, we write a comment first and then change the status to one with the status category "done". This works fine most of the times. However, sometimes the following happens:

We write a comment and change the status of the ticket. Then, a few seconds later without any comment being posted, the status switches back to "Open". 

Is there something I'm not taking into account? I'm confused as to why this happens. 

Thanks in advance as always!

1 answer

1 vote
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2023

Hi @Carolin Jonietz

Atlassian has an Automation in their library for something very similar, I'm wondering if that would be a good reference to solve your issue.  They also have it coded only when the Initiator makes a comment will it be triggered.  You might want to check that out.  It's in your Project Settings/ Automation, and then there should be a tab for 'Templates' and then under "IT Service Management" it's called "When a customer comments on a closed request" or something similar. There's another one called "When a comment is added - update the status" that might help too.

Hope that helps.

Carolin Jonietz September 7, 2023

Hello Dan,

thanks for your input! However, I cannot exclude non customer users from the rule entirely since sometimes a project manager of a customer answers for them. We do not want to miss those answers either. 

I've checked out the Atlassian automations and apart from the exclusion of non customer users, they look pretty much like my automation. 

This makes me think this might be a bug? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events