Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation rule: Update participants

Deleted user September 16, 2022

I am looking for a way to use automation to update the Request participants field, I want to update this field to someone who is @ mentioned in a comment. 

Our setup is using a dedicated Slack channel for support requests and then we will convert that request into a ticket using an emoji. That then kicks off some automation within Assist to convert the Slack conversation into a Jira ticket. 

Right now if we @ mention someone via the ticket in Slack that person does not get a notification from Assist. The only way I have been able to workaround this is to manually add them to the Assist / Jira ticket as a follower.

How can I use Jira automation to look into the comments of the ticket for an @ mention and assign them as a participant so they get the notifications?

Example: Hey @person can you approve this request. 

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

Hi @[deleted],

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

In order to add the user to request participants you have to get their Atlassian Id and use the advanced option to do it, similar like this:

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 9.31.20 AM.png 

In this case Manager is a user pick field. In your case you would have to do a web request to the API in order to get the Atlassian ID for the mentioned user.

Deleted user September 16, 2022

Hi @Mikael Sandberg  thank you for the quick response!

I think I am going to need to do some more research on this. I am very green when it comes to automation and web requests. 

How is it that if you @ mention someone in the Jira portal on the ticket in a comment they are added automatically as a participant to the ticket? That's my end goal but without going into the Jira portal or having our users go to the portal for support. It's much easier to work out of Slack for all of this and Slack is doing the same thing, posting a new comment to the ticket.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

The reason is that when you do it from the portal there is a function that adds the user to the participants list. There isn't anything corresponding on the backend view so you would need an automation for it. The web request would be using the users end point to get the accountId. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events