Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation in JIRA to auto assign tickets

Usha Ramani June 23, 2021

Hello Team,

I am looking to automate ticket assignment in JIRA with below conditions.

When ever the ticket status is changed and based on certain conditions , it is required to be assigned to different people in the team automatically.

Can you please suggest if this can be done and if so how?

Thanks & Regards,

Jyothsna.

2 answers

0 votes
Mark Harding June 24, 2021

I have a similar outstanding question where I want to assign a new incident ticket to whoever is in on-call in OpsGenie. Watching this thread with great interest. 

Usha Ramani June 24, 2021

Please do share if you get any way to implement this scenario.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

You simply want to trigger on a field change event and you want to choose status as the field. Then you can do an If/Else block and inspect the current status and set the assignee accordingly. Give it a try and if you have issues report back here.

Hello Jack,

Thank you for the reply. I want to assign to people from a group. Which means that the members in the group can be changed and rule should be picking from that group accordingly. So i am thinking how to manage that group of people and call here in the rule. 

Thanks & Regards,

Jyothsna.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

So obviously you cannot assign to a group. But it sounds like you want to choose someone within the group. Unsure exactly what your algorithm would be for that such as random. However there’s nothing inside automation that would allow you to select a member from a group so you would have to manually manage that within the rule.

I want to have a group, which will have people with different designation or level. So in the automation, i would like to assign P4 tickets always to level4, P3 to Level3 .. similarly. 

If this is not possible, then only way is to hardcode the people identities to be assigned?

Or 

Is there a way i can check how many tickets are assigned to each person in a group and based on least number of tickets assigned , have the ticket assigned to them?

Bcos the whole point is automation is lost if manual intervention is required to change the rule whenever new person is added.

Thanks & Regards.

Jyothsna.

Mark Harding June 24, 2021

Hmm,.. you could set automation to assign all P4 to the same individual (person A), all P3 to person B, P2 to person,.. etc

This could obviously be a Team Leader who could then assign down to separate members of the Team?!

Not sure if that is any use or what you're getting at.

Usha Ramani June 24, 2021

Thank you for the reply Mark. I am a newbie in JIRA trying to understand its features and scope for automating, Assigning to a particular person would become like hardcoding. The whole point of getting automated is lost if that is the case. I see there are api's available to access JIRA contents. Is there any possibility to call those API's and run scripts to get the person name and run scripts?

Thanks & Regards,

Jyothsna.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events