cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation for Jira - Copy Fix Version - Not Working

Albert Manuel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2021

Hi there,

I have a strange case:

I have two projects, project A and project B. Project A has linked issues from project B.

When a fix version is added to project A, I want them to be updated in project B also, but for some reason is not working although the rule audit, says successfully - no value is added to the fix version.

This are two screenshots from my simple rule:

Jira error -1.pngJira error -2.png

What i have observed, is that if i create manually the fix versions with the same name in project B, it works, but without them, is not.

Is there any way, in automation to copy the fix version from another project if the fix version is not existing on the project to be copied on?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

You can't do this.  

The reason is that a version is a project object, and can't be applied to issues outside the project it belongs to.

Even if you have a project which has a version with an identical name, description, dates and status, etc, identical to a version in another project, they are two different things from two different projects.

Automation can't break those rules, and I'm not sure it can do anything for "find similar version in target project and apply that"

Albert Manuel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thanks for the input, I'm sure now that I'm not crazy - cuz this i was thinking when i saw i cannot copy a simple fix version.

From my findings, if you have the same fix version (exact name) it works - basically if you have the fix version v1.0 in project A, and an automation rule, is created to apply the same fix version to project B - it works, but you need to have on the project B a fix version with that exact name.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

Ah, excellent, they've put in a "match by name" since I last had to try this!

Thanks for the update!

It still leaves us with "there are two separate versions, even if they look the same" issue, but that's a bigger thing, and at least we can use same-name versions for copying.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events