cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation for Approval in Team Managed project

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2021

I am trying to set an automation from a team managed project. I have a field that I am editing that is a drop down. The selection of a department name and then in the edit of this department name it then will edit the approver field in the team manged project. But I think the field its editing is from the jira classic fields not the team managed. Is there away to edit these team managed fields in automation to change the approvers? Do I need to create a new field with a different name?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex van Vucht (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2021

In this response I am assuming that:

1. Affected Groups is a Group Picker (multiple) field that you created.
  2. Approvers is a User Picker (multiple) field that was either created by Jira Service Management or created by you. This doesn't have any particular special restrictions or usage instructions but JSM will recreate a field with this name if you change the field context or remove or rename this field.

JSM does not presently support using groups for approvals. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-4531

Automation does not presently have an action or function to populate a Users custom field with members of Groups.  I cannot identify a feature request for that.

If you want to be creative, you could use an Outgoing Webhook action to the Get users from group REST API endpoint to obtain the members of groups and an advanced edit issue action to populate the Approvers field with the webhookResponse, but that wouldn't support multiple groups. I wish you luck with that.

Also note that using Automation for changing Approvers requires the workflow to have a self-looping "Change approvers" transition and a "Transition issue" action after populating the Approvers field.

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2021

Affected group is a dropdown, But I have moved this project back to a classic as there is a limitation in Team Managed projects of no context for approvals so therefore they can't be edited.

0 votes
Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2021

2021-06-15 12_37_08-Settings - Jira.pngThis is the automation but the field Approvers also exist in classic. This is in a team managed project.

Alex van Vucht (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2021

<Moved to an answer in instead of a reply>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events