Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Rule Efficiency

Ryan A_ March 30, 2021

Hello!  I have several projects with various automation rules, some lighter than others.  After reviewing the audit logs one of the most critical rules we have appears to take up to 13 seconds to execute but it also seems to be the most 'basic' to a certain extent.  I was hoping someone might have an idea on how to best handle this or improve/lower the processing time.

The rule is built as follows:

• Trigger: Issue Created
  • If Organizations == X, Y or Z
    • Set Watchers
  • Else If Organizations == A, B or C
    • Set Watchers
  • etc. (this has a total of 9 If/Else If/Else)
  • Put an internal Comment for all watchers

In some cases the Organizations check in a single IF or ELSE IF can be 30+ organizations (i.e. If Organizations == 1, 2, 3, 4, ... 30).  I have thought about using Components instead but then I need to assign a specific component based on the Organization so I don't believe that will driver better efficiency.

I was hoping that since this data is static (i.e. the Watchers are always the same for a specific Organization) that there would be an easier way to do this via something like a 'lookup' table, get the values and just apply them to the ticket.  That doesn't seem to be supported from what I can tell.

This is becoming more important because now these rules are starting to kick off other rules that are similar in nature.

Any thoughts on how to best manage this?

1 answer

0 votes
felipe_lucena
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2021

Hi, Ryan. I hope this message finds you well!

First of all, I would like to congratulate you for your concern with having rules that perform well within the Jira Cloud. This is a fundamental point of the project.

Second, I would like to say that if I were you I would do this configuration using Insight Cloud and configure a script in JMWE to obtain this information based on Insight Cloud.

Why?

1. When we set up a catalog structure in Insight Cloud, you make your organization's process more scalable by allowing ordinary users to keep their automation rules up to date.

2. With JMWE you can set up a post-function to perform this action in the create transition.

3. With Automation for Jira you can create a rule to always perform a self-reflective transition whenever the Organization field is changed.

By putting these three actions into practice, you will have a better performing and more scalable environment.

Ryan, do you use Jira Server or Cloud?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events