Automation Question

David Lord May 21, 2021

I am working on a Human Resources Onboarding automation for Jira Service Management. As HR fills out the onboarding form and places the ticket, the automation creates subtasks based on the new employee's needs. My question is this. . . When I have the automation create a subtask, can I create a custom "Summary" that pulls from the parent ticket? For example:

HR places a ticket for John Doe and labels the Summary "John Doe - Hiring Manager". They add to the form that John needs Jira access and the automation creates a subtask. I would like the Summary for the Subtask to say "Jira Access - John Doe - Hiring Manager".

Is this possible? 

The purpose of this is to help other Jira Service Management agents to more easily distinguish tickets that automatically end up in their queue. Currently, they would just see a ticket labeled "Jira Access". I have figured out how to move all the other necessary data over from the parent ticket, this is just a final detail. 

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

Hi, @David Lord - you can definitely have your automation rule create the subtask summary to contain data from the parent ticket. If you're not super-familiar with automation yet, smart values are your friend!

Here's what your rule setup could look like:
2021-05-21 10_27_40-Project automation - Jira Staging - Vivaldi.png

The text in the curly braces is pulling the value of the parent issue's summary. 

David Lord May 21, 2021

You are the best! Thank you!

Like Esther Strom likes this
David Lord May 26, 2021

@Esther Strom May I ask for your assistance regarding this once more?

Would this be the proper entry if I wanted to update the "Summary Field" of an issue?

{{start.date}} - {{employee.name}} - {{manager}}

The Automation is set at the end of the script as "For Current Issue>Then: Edit issue fields>Summary>{{start.date}} - {{employee.name}} - {{manager}}". When I try to run it this way, I get random numbers in the Summary field. 

I would like it to read like this for example: "01-01-2021 - John Doe - Shipping Manager"

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Hi, @David Lord - I believe you'd need to prefix all of the smart values with "issue" if you're accessing a field on the issue (are "employee" and "manager" field names?). Also, date fields do odd things...

Without testing it myself, assuming employee and manager are both user picker fields, and your date field is really called start.date, and you're trying to pull the value into the Summary field, I would think it would be something like this:

{{issue.start.date}} - {{issue.employee.displayName}} - {{issue.manager.displayName}}

You might also need to use one of the format functions on your date field; something like {{issue.startdate.shortDate}}

David Lord May 27, 2021

Thank you @Esther Strom Esther. I was able to get the manager to show up but nothing else. It is not that important. Thank you for commenting back :)

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

You're welcome. I don't know what to tell you about the employee field, but I tested a date field named start.date, and got nothing with the field name smart value, because I think Jira thinks that you're using a field called start with a property of date, which doesn't exist. I tried again using the customfield ID in the smart value, and it worked correctly.

2021-05-27 11_45_58-Project automation - The Jira of Champions - Brave.png

You can find the custom field ID by going into the configuration of your custom field; the URL should look something like this, with the ID being the bit at the very end:

https://<your site.atlassian.net>/secure/admin/ConfigureCustomField!default.jspa?customFieldId=10368

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events