Automation Problems

David Lord July 1, 2022

Hello,

I am using Jira Cloud on a chromium-based browser (Brave). I am trying to use automation to create a monthly occurring task, then subtasks that would be attached to the first task. 

Example:
On the 2nd Monday of every month, create a new task called "Zone 2". Then create a subtask for "Zone" 2.

I have tried to accomplish this in three ways. First, see below. . .
Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 9.17.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-01 at 9.17.10 AM.png

Second, I adjusted the subtask so it specified the Project and Issue Type to help resolve the "Scheduling Error" shown above. Then I get the error "

01/07/22 09:22:52 am (8855633461) Test Project SOME ERRORS 1.81s Show less
Action details:
Create issue
Issues created successfully
TP-1
Create issue
Error creating issue
Issue type is a sub-task but the parent issue key or id is not specified. (issuetype)

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 9.18.19 AM.png

And finally, I tried creating a second separate automation for adding the subtasks. When an issue is created and it matched the "Summary" that says "Zone 2" then create sub tasks on the trigger issue. For whatever reason, that second automation will not recognize that an issue was created and therefore will not run.

If I am doing something wrong, or recommends a better way, I would really appreciate anybody's insight into this.

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2022

Hi @David Lord 

The proper rule should look like this one:

aaaaaaaaaaaa.png

You just need to clearly indicate the sub-task parent - using the branch component "For Most recently created issue". That's why your first and second attempts failed.

Regarding the last attempt, you need to configure the second rule in a way that it allows to be triggered by another rule:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.png

Kind,

Piotr

David Lord July 2, 2022

Thank you very much, sir! I greatly appreciate your assistance with these. Have a great weekend!

@Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_ 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events