Automation JSD - Not updating the Request type

Madhu Reddy October 4, 2019

I have added a rule as attached in the Screenshot.

When i adds an issues with summary "account", my request type was not updated.

Please let me know if my rule was wrong..

Thanks in AdvanceSummary.PNG

1 comment

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

Hi Madhu, 

I just tested this on our environment and it seems to work. 

Are you sure that your request-type-channel is email? If you use your native JIRA mailhandlers or email this issue mailhandler it would be "jira" instead of email.

Next, are you sure that the "defect" request type is of the same issue type in which the issue is originally created? 

You can always look in the log of the automation rule to check what happened. 

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 10.24.49.png

Cheers, 

Tessa

Thanks for the response @Tessa Tuteleers 

I am using JSD Email Requests..

No both the request types and issue types are different in my setup as attached in the screenshot. 

In fact I have to deal with Issue types. Request Type.PNG

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

There is your problem then, a request type is a "child" of an issue type, you can't change the request type to one that is "under" a different issue type. 

TO change request types in Jira, natively you would have to "move" the issue to the same project with a different request type, you can't do this with a "normal" edit. 

As such, you can't change issue types with "normal" JIRA service desk automations

->  You could use "Automation for JIRA" - an add-on with a lot more automation power - to change issuetype and request type

-> You could set up more extensive mailhandlers with something like "Jira email this issue" to get JIRA to create the issue the right way in the first place. 

Cheers, 

Tessa

hi @Tessa Tuteleers 

I am using "Automation for Jira" plugin, it is not much helpful in this scenario. By using this we can edit the issue type but we cannot move automatically.

Means only issue type gets changes but not workflow.. This causes a serious damage. So in our case Automation for Jira is not useful..

May be I have to try "JETI-JIra email the issue" which costs almost equally with Jira license.

Thanks @Tessa Tuteleers 

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2019

Madhu, 

As said, no simple "edit" will fix this.
With Automation for JIRA, we would fix this with a "clone" and then "delete" action, instead of an edit. 

You basically enter your conditions, tell automation to clone the issue into the same project with the same issuetype. Add the new customer request type and then delete the original issue (make sure to deselect "send mail for this rule"). 

Hope it helps! 

Tessa

We can deselect email alert for delete action. 

But while Cloning issues we can't stop email alert. Right ?

Is there any alternative to stop email alert while cloning.

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2019

Right. 

You would basically turn off the default "request created" customer notifications and add some custom ones covering your case. (i.e don't send that mail if it's from mail , is a service request with account in it) and send otherwise. 

But that could give some challenges on its own with JSD automation and JSU automation not always being friends with each other. 
Cloning also gives you the challenge that it fails if you have required fields on your defect issuetype and you forget to set them in your rule, or if you add required fields after. 

You might want to look into Jeti as most of the time this isn't an isolated case and you want to add more automations for different values. 

Wish I could give you an easier solution. 

Like Madhu Reddy likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events